1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Find Out Who Insures One Of My Bikes???

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Zhed46, Nov 7, 2019.

1. This is a slightly odd one.

I've just got off the phone with MCE as the insurance on my M796 is due soon. I have 3 bikes insured with them, or at least I thought I did, and so we set up a multi-bike policy for all 3 (tried it before and computer said no but this time met with success). During the course of that discussion about cancelling existing policies, MCE could not find details for one of the 3 bikes on their system and so I now have no idea whatsoever who that bike is insured with.

The MID website's search tool says it is insured, but not who with.

I generally opt for receiving insurance docs electronically rather than on paper, and have searched my email using all sorts of keywords, to no avail.

Question - how the hell do I find out who insures my bike without encountering the usual "computer says no" and "data protection" roadblocks?

Thanks

2. Wait for the renewal letter :)

3. Problem is, I am pretty sure I only insured it in September, so that would be a whole year's premium down the drain. : unamused:

4. UPDATE: I have searched my bank statements and think I have found a suspicious looking direct debit........

• Like Like x 1
  5. You could check who you have paid for motor insurance from you bank statement and find out by process of elimination?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. See above. Great minds think alike. You were obviously posting that while I was actually doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Glad to learn today that this isn't only "my world" :upyeah:..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tbh, dealing with stuff like this fills me with dread :confused:

9. The direct debit was a false dawn. It was indeed an insurance premium but for my son's moped. :triumph:

10. @Zhed46 Did you discuss the insurance on the phone before renewing ? If so maybe check your phone history from September . Also check your emails from around then, the insurers usually email before renewal. If as you say the keywords is not helping then you`ll have to check each email.

11. you have had correspondence of some sort for sure, and you wouldn't have deleted unless by obscure accident.. Have you tried "sent" file or "drafts" or "important documents" yet? Are you currently ruthless with your deleting (this adopted approach has caught me out before)?

12. But it will be on a bank statement somewhere in the last 12 months, unless you pay bike insurance with readies!

13. Or it’s part of a monthly credit card payment and you chuck away the details of each statement, like I do :/

14. Can't you look up payments online?

15. If it’s part of a number of payments then your snookered

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Do you keep your emails? If so, look back around the time you think you insured the vehicle and see what's in your emails for that month?

17. Commit a minor traffic infringement in front of a police car. That should clarify things... risky strategy admittedly!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Set fire to it. :thinkingface:

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Checked all emails using multiple keywords but nothing...

Then checked bank statements for debit card transactions and turned up 2 monthly payments to Close Brothers Finance. One is my 911 insurance but the other one I’m not sure of, but I reckon is probably MCE bike insurance, but it’s only one payment when as the policies were previously individual ones, I would have thought it would be 3 separate payments. So that’s not much help.

I did also turn up a stray DD from Swinton which turned out to be them taking £6.45 pm for the past 15 months for breakdown cover attached to an insurance policy which lapsed in July 18. They’re now refunding me the £90 odd overpayment, so it hasn’t been an entirely fruitless exercise.

Still no wiser as to who insures my Bandit though :rolleyes:

I might pop into a police station if I can find one which is open but I imagine that after hours of waiting around I’ll get some surly civilian who will cite data protection, GDPR, the human rights act and any other jobsworths’ charter they can think of to deny me the info :pensive:

20. I actually suggested that or having a minor accident to the guy on the phone :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information