1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Grip Your Length?

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by JH_1986, Mar 21, 2019.

1. So, I've been riding a decade and usually suffer in my throttle hand on long journeys. Sometimes pins and needles or numbness, sometimes a pain in the palm.

I have now heard lots about riders switching to this 'screwdriver' grip so you are not bending your wrist at awkward angles to go full throttle travel etc..

It feels weird when I try it but if it works for others, I will persevere until it becomes natural.

What are people's thoughts?

2. 2 hands, a little flails about still o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. I didn't mean your tweezers :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. :thinkingface:

4955387433_a60bddc5bd_m.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Might be a daft question but are you taking your body weight on your arms? You might benefit from changing your body positioning and taking more weight using legs / core. Stomp grip can help you grip with your legs under braking etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I do always feel like a have as soft a grip as I can, given that I still need to grip and use the throttle. My clutch hand never has this issue, which must indicate you are right and I've been gripping too hard on the throttle.

I'm thinking the change in grip will effectively force a slacker grip. It's also the grip position I default too for cornering, so as to better drop my head into the corner.

Was just wondering if others use it and why

7. Finger and thumb

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. I grip softly and try to have as little weight on my wrists as possible. It’s quite relaxing like that

9. Grip Puppies JH. Dont underestimate palm pressure under braking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. +1 for Grip Puppies. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ive just checked eBay for these and they seem pretty good to try as on my 748 i get an ache in my "clutch"palm due to wait pressure from my body i think, I've looked at gloves with more padding in the palm but not much luck so these seem the way to go and look like one size fits all.

I do remember the same kind of item but not there name and they were much more thicker and look a bit naff.

12. Grip buddies original (copy called puppies) combined with Throttle rocker & crampbuster CB2 but again not the oxford copying assholes who steal everyone's original idea & then due to financial prowess can fight legal battles.

[​IMG]

Whilst riding normally I am barely bracing the controls. As mentioned with as little as one finger & thumb slightly squeezed. In more agile situations, hands are gripping a bit but wrists are still loose & two fingers cover both clutch & brake. Don't grip like you are doing pull ups on a bar, or tensing your arms.

If the bike is going to misbehave due to tire deflation or a pot hole/rut. Holding on tightly will accentuate the effect of imbalance & start a tank slapper. Instead of freaking out & panicing, a bike left alone will restabilize however you/me will most likely be way out of normal riding line. It might go against most peoples perception but riding with less input gives you more information what the road up your arms into your brain. Obviously this is my opinion & no doubt wrong in some members minds because its me saying it.

#14 GunZenBomZ, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Just ordered a pair of grip puppies, i will up date when I've tried them out,

14. Fitted these tonight, not tried them yet but seem good for padded grip.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. An update, 748

Had these on the bike since April now and i must say very good, they have taken a bit of pressure of the wrists which has helped a lot and makes for a more comfy ride, first ride i found out straightaway that i needed to adjuster both levers as the thickness of the foam made my finger tips just out of comfy reach of them but quick adjust and all good,

I did find as with all bikes when you ride over a bump you shut the throttle of a bit and with these grips it made it a bit more but have got used to riding with these now,
    All in great product.

#17 Roadtrip, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  16. For me I find a thumbless grip is good on the open road as I have issues...with my hands I mean ..
    Anyone else do this? The vibs of all my bikes make my fingers go numb and I ride thumbless where I can...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Probably common advise but try holding the grips as if they are made of very fine glass that might crack if you grip too hard, works for me.

18. Try some new bars maybe

8D57D6E0-30A1-48AB-AA8B-1437CAAC1C41.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • WTF WTF x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information