1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 How Easy Would It Be To Satin Finish An Akro 'heat Shield'

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by bootsam, Mar 3, 2018.

1. As per title. I have an Akro but its gloss. Ive bought the satin sub frame heat shield (pretty good btw), swing arm protector and ancillary parts and the rear hugger from Lieb Speed. Thus I'd like to match the akro shield a tad. Is it simply a question of rubbing it down and spraying a satin lacquer? Is it something a moron like me could do or should I just send it to someone who can? I'm reasonable enough with a spanner, but not done this before apart from black cycle parts kinda thing level of paint.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Is the heat shield carbon boots ??

3. Yes, it is. Its the skinny carbon one that comes with Ti Akro.

4. I've only done one piece of carbon, and not teaching you to suck eggs, but if your gonna sand the gloss back, make sure not too course a paper is used, and finish with a very fine one or the sand marks will show under the new satin lacquer. Obvious I know and I apologise, but you literally wanna take the shine off. :upyeah:

#5 Wayne58, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2018
  5. Ive not done this before myself, so its okay to idiot proof me. All advice is useful at this stage. I'm not a painter.

If I cut it back with the finest wet n dry, wouldnt that give it a satin finish look anyways?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thats how I did the bit I did, I finished it with a 2000 grade iirc, but it was more matt than satin when I finished, so I gave it 2 coats of Hycote satin, leave a good few hours before 2nd coat :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Are there any demo's on YouTube? A proper mine of DIY on there. Just finished me time machine with flux capacitor...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I'll have a look. But youtube passed me by. I'm an internet luddite.

Ive googled it now and have found some general consensus. Rub down with 2000, then apply satin lacquer.

9. Don't fuck it up. It's a single shot. No pressure..... :p

10. You'll be alright boots, if ya Fuck up, rub it back, start again. Keep the rattle can 12 inches away, don't try to do too much at once, just light but wet coats, it'll be right :upyeah:

11. Hi Boots,
    I would use 0000 grade wire wool and GT 85. You're only looking to break the top sheen so it does not reflect directly any more.
    You should not need to respray at all if you are even with the pressure across the piece.
    Like they say, test on an inconspicuous area first!
    Cheers,
    Jon

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I had to google GT85. Then when I saw it realised I have a can of that. I also have some wire wool, but doubt its grade as I bought some without grade in mind and cant remember why I actually have it. But its pretty fine.

13. 0000 is fine like candy floss

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information