1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 How Good Is The V4 Quickshifter

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Duncan*, Jan 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ===

#1 Duncan*, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  2. It’s going to be different. I read somewhere in all the blurb, the V4 QS is designed to be operated over 4000rpm. Something I doubt you do on your 1260. Andy

3. Mine is very good on my V4. Never had one on my 1200DVT so can’t compare.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. The QS on the V4S is frankly amazing...super smooth/direct both up and down - irrespective of gear and rpm. It even works from 1st to 2nd well at low RPM (but I don't...). So far not had a single false shift in either direction and can't imagine it being any better tbh.

From the reviews I've read (and personal experience) its considered to be the best out there (including the new MY22 Panigale V4).

I haven' ridden the 1260S, however, the Multi 1200S that I had previously wasn't available with factory (or dealer fit) QS and mine had a Healtech QS (one way- up) on it which wasn't great. My 20 Monster had factory QS on it and the V4S is vastly improved on that.

#4 MutleyV4S, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  5. I have had both, the QS on the 1260S needed a firm toe and some revs to make it work, even then it could be a bit clunky, it did occasionally hit a false neutral between 5th and 6th but a firm foot would stop that happening.
    IME, with 5k+ miles done the V4S, the QS is smoother and works better / smoother than the 1260S up and down. The V4 QS is at its best when under load and above 4-5k rpm then it is very smooth and easy to do, only issue is that you have to watch the speedo as it becomes deceptively quick!
    It depends what you are comparing it with but there will be a difference between the QS on a Big Twin and on a V4.

6. Huh?? What does this mean?

7. ===

#7 Duncan*, Jan 13, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I find the QS on my 1260 good, 99% of the time. I have had a couple of moments between 5th and 6th, and it’s dropped out of gear from 5th to 4th a couple of times, but I’ve always put that down to not being firm on the lever. The V4S I took out a few weeks seemed fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ===

#9 Duncan*, Jan 13, 2022
  10. My 1260 quick shifter is very good, needs a tyre calibration when new tyres go on to be at its best
    However my mates V4 is smoother and slicker to be fair

11. Its like a hot knife thro butter on the V4 , not ridden the 1260 so again can't compare , but its brilliant you can play around with the gears , up , down , on power off doesn't matter

• Like Like x 1
  12. The V4 is a much freer revver that the 1260 which means you will be changing gear at higher revs than the 1260. Andy

13. But the V4 is also easier to use at low revs. And the QS still works well at those low revs.

14. Has nothing to do with what rpm you shift at. Makes zero sense to me. All quick shifts are designed to be used when you're going quick, which means well over 4k rpm. The 1260 QS works best in the 5k to 8k rpm

15. What don't you like about it? Bit clunky? Seems out of timing? And how long have you been using it? I hear they're 'smart' and 'learn' from user input.

I've got a 2018 Panigale V4S (track only) and stories were rife about QS failure. I took the bait and fitted an after market H&M. In fairness to the OEM Ducati QS it didn't miss a shift, up or down. As I was doing euro track days I didn't want a QS failure so made the swap and carried the original as a spare.

16. ===

#16 Duncan*, Jan 14, 2022
  17. ===

#17 Duncan*, Jan 14, 2022
  18. ===

#18 Duncan*, Jan 14, 2022
  19. My point exactly. IME of the wider Multistrada community, not just here, if you rev your's to 8000rpm, you are in a minority. Andy

20. With a quick shifter , it’s a lot
    I would not say rich , more careful with timing on trade ups and also hard work. Thanks for the link , great on the track , not to sure on the road as the PP now has the lift race option which give more clearance for cornering , also mindful gearchanges and reading the road helps . You could get used to it thou ..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information