1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diavel How Legal Would This Be?

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Carbon749, May 24, 2017.

1. I'm looking for a tail tidy for my 2015 Diavel, as I really don't like the standard location.

I've found this, and would be able to make up something similar.

OK, I accept that I will need a slightly smaller than legal plate, which I'm OK with.

But, the question is, how illegal / police attention grabbing, would a number plate positioned this be?

I was looking to angle the plate away towards the back of the bike, as per a traditional set up. But, quite like the look of the this style, just wondered if I'm going to spend all my time getting stopped by the police.

What do you think, asking for trouble, or 50/50 OK?

Diavel Tail Tidy.jpg

2. It's the size that's key. May get you a pull but long as visible from the back 'think' it's ok :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's around £30 for a illegal size number plate but I'd imagine you'd be getting a 'fix within 30-days notice'. If you actually tried to use that on the road.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mmmmmm interesting ..... I could live with those outcomes.

Relocating the plate will mean a slightly smaller than "legal" number plate. So, I know that will always be an issue. Saying that, I've run with a small single line number plate for 11 years on my 749, so I'm happy with running a slightly smaller plate.

If the angle isn't going to make it more of a police magnet, I may give it a go.

Watch this space :imp:

5. Small plates are around £10 max, had one for a lot longer than 30 days so don't listen to bollocks like you'll get a ticket with one.

6. It's not the issue of the size of plate that I'm bothered about, its if the position will draw more attention, than a typical position angled away from the bike ... ie: traditional style.

7. The plate is not visible to a fixed camera. In the unlikely event you are followed by a traffic officer, IMO it is likely you will get pulled. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Its a £100 fine. It went up from £60 not long ago. I generally get hit once a year.

9. OK, a slight tweak to bring it a little closer to vertical, but, not enough to hit the tyre on full travel.

All else OK for me to give it a try.

Thanks for the comments and views.

10. Legality is often a case of interpretation. In this case most coppers would say it is illegal and most magistrates would agree. Most times their is no appeal

11. Depends on where you live as well... in Bristol they don't seem to care - I've seen all sorts of ridiculous number plates on bikes and cars here.

12. Can I ask what manufacturer makes any tail tidy that fits a legal-ish plate? But not the DP side one

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  13. I've always run small number plates....small not postcard.
    Got done twice in 34 years and 250k miles,

14. Have a look at The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 (as amended).

Briefly...

Reg 5:

(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) A registration plate must be fixed on the rear of—

(a) the vehicle

(3) Where a vehicle (or, in a case where the plate is required to be fixed on a trailer, that trailer) has been constructed so as to satisfy the requirements of the relevant type-approval directive, whether or not it is required by law to satisfy them, the plate may be fixed in the space provided in accordance with those requirements but if it is not so fixed it must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (5).

(5) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (6).

(6) The diagonal length of the relevant area is—

(a) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

© in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.

Reg 4:

“diagonal length”, in relation to a relevant area, means the length of a line drawn diagonally across the square enclosing the area (so that the extent of the relevant area is thereby delimited);

“relevant area”, in relation to a registration plate, means the area contained in a square described on the ground—

(b) behind the vehicle in the case of a plate fixed on the rear of the vehicle,

where one corner of the square is immediately below the middle of the plate and the diagonal of the square from that corner is parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle;

In other words, make sure it can be seen from the sides as well as from directly behind and make sure it's illuminated at night.

15. No trouble at all.. I love answering a post in great detail, giving sources and actual answers rather than "a mate down the pub once" said answers.
    Some times I wonder why I bother!

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Back on the old numberplate argument....got small 7x5 plates on 3 of mine and a 9x3 strip plate on the rsv4. In fact pulled up next to an unmarked traffic car (black audi estate for those of you in Bristol) in the middle of town on the hyper (full system, air filters and clutch rattling away like a bag of spanners) they didnt even bat an eyelid. My theory is, is that if they cant be bothered to turn up if someones 20k panigale goes missing then ive not got much to worry about....went through a camera trap yesterday just over the 50 limit - so, we'll see what happens...!

17. All my bikes wear 9" x 3" plates. In the past 5 yrs, Ive had 3 fines now I come to ponder on it. I call it my vanity tax.

Just ordered one for my new 1299S. A1showplates.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information