1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Long Can You Ride For.....

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Lizzyfan, Jul 20, 2021.

1. I had a BMW S1000XR before i bought my Monster 1200s. I could easily ride for a good 3 hours or more in comfort before the aches start. Obviously the Monster is a lot more sporty riding position and i'm a couple of years older now (61 in Sept) but now i find 2 hrs is my max before i have to stop and have a break as the aches tell me i've got to ! I live in the East Midlands so i can get to the East coast in 2 hrs or so or to most race tracks to watch BSB in that time so it's no real problem. I've Had the Monster for nearly 12 months now but only just done 1500 miles on it as i'm finding life, work & my other hobbies get in the way (plus the Covid situation I suppose) So, when do yours aches tell you to have a break when you're out on your bike?

2. The longest trips I've done in the last 6 years have been North Lincs to Heysham and the return a week or so later in June and August each year. Fuel/Drink/Loo stops always came up before the 2 hour mark and I have been more grateful for a stretch in recent years (now I'm over 55).
    My last long trip on the 916 was 16 years ago when I did 2 consecutive 500 mile days, and even back then I was ready for a day off, fortunately in the sunny south of France.
    I would have to go back to my GSX Moto Martin in 1993 for the last bike I had that would go for 3 hours without a fuel stop. Bloody Ducatis and their little tanks!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Last year I rode from the elephant rally in Germany back here in one go , fuel stops and tunnel , did 1098 miles on a er 500 , didn't feel a thing .

Rode from York to Peterborough Sunday on a zx6r j1 so an older one , stopped half way and it nearly killed me ! About 1-15 mins each bit .

Struggle to do an hour on my 848 .

I'm thinking I'm getting old .

• Like Like x 1
  4. I too am getting old. I did 3 hours on Saturday and in the heat on my Street triple I was shot!

That's why I'm looking for a Multistrada 950s!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Surprised it’s more sporty than the R tbh having had one. You could try bar risers or change the pegs to rearsets for more room

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm pretty old now, certainly compared to how old I was years ago....

Last year I rode my little Ts185 for 9+hours with fuel stops and it was fine. Sitting upright, bumbling along, taking in the sights -easy. Blasting around for the same length of time on my Monster is something I've not done for a while, and I'll expect a twinge or two when I do!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Once upon a time I rode a lot London to Nice non stop, I’m lucky if I do half that now.

8. Last week me and a friend did 340 miles round wales in a day, no issues on the DRZ400 but would feel it on the V2 20210714_123811.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. I did 400 miles round Wales yesterday with no real issues on my 790 Duke, have ridden 12 hours from Central England to Val D’Isere on a Speed Triple with only fuel stops a long time ago again with no issues.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Once rode from Madrid to Bordeaux 430 miles the day after a friends wedding
    It was tough going.

#10 Carr01, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 480 miles Ballater to Cheltenham a couple of weeks ago. It was on my 1260 Mutley so a bit more upright. Surprisingly not too knackered at the end of it, though I discovered that the Touratech seat does have it's limit on comfort as I do 250-300 mile days at most when on tour, more often 200-250 miles when in the mountains/on nicer roads. In my 60th year so comfort is becoming a thing...

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. I’ve just done 215 miles on very mixed roads. It took 9 & 1/2 hours including 3 stops of probably 1 3/4 hrs in total. Long sections were at 30mph and slow heavy traffic. Basically I was properly stuffed by the end of it.

Then I did a 115 mile day and today I’ve done just under 200 miles, two up, two stops. Each day was enough.

That was in this country. In Spain or France for example I’d expect to cover a lot more ground.

Simply put though, it’s probably best to get off every 60 to 90 minutes. That way it’s enjoyable not just an endurance. That’s why I don’t see the point of massive fuel tanks.

I think the temperature has a lot to do with it as well. The heat of the last few days has been draining.

There are many variables you need to consider. Heavy or light traffic. Fast easy A roads, Motorways or tight nadgery or mountainous roads. Weather conditions, this busy country or Europe.

Do what you can do happily. Not what others do.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Up to 300 miles a day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I’ve done 400 plus miles days a few times on a variety of bikes including Fireblade, 848 Evo Corse, 899, 959, Scrambler Classic and Scrambler 1100 Sport.

In fact the Scrambler 1100 Sport is due to do 380-400 miles in one day around Scotland in about 10 days time :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Over 400 miles loads. Easy and stress free on a multi. Proper hard core knackering on a SPS. Bit in between on most other bikes.

The S1000R was hard work with textile jacket tho. Over 80 over distance was a real difficultly.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yep depends on the bike, personally I can ride the 1098 for hours without any real problems but age catches us all eventually & it does seem heavier when it’s being wheeled out between the cars in the morning! It’s the heat that gets to me. Why have Ducati never sorted that out?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Numb bum is a consequence of seat width and lean angle.

For comparisons of riding position by model the Cycle Ergo website is worth a look, as are the German company SQ Lab who make bicycle saddles and other ergonomically designed components.

It's all down to the position of the 'sit bones' in your pelvis, which ideally need to sit flat when you're seated. The general rule of thumb being the more upright your riding position the wider your seat needs to be and vice versa. It's why saddles on racing bicycles are narrow. You measure your sit bone position, factor in lean angle and size the saddle accordingly.

It's a lot more complex than adding a gel insert and sadly the options with motorcycle seats are still too limited.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. All day if I have to. Worst journey was 8hrs in 36°C from Langres to home on 1299. I got a steam vascectomy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. That's the issue. I point blank refuse to plan super high mileage days. I ride for pleasure and I want to enjoy my tours, not suffer for them. I do use autoroutes in Europe but only to traverse areas of no interest and that tends to be getting away from channel ports in the main. For these it's around 200 miles by lunch-time but I always factor in a closing 100 miles or so in the afternoon on interesting roads. There after, until day of return, it's 180-250 miles a day depending on terrain.

For me high mileage are for emergencies only.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  20. About 500 miles a day on the 939 Supersport. I also have a BMW R1250RS which is much more comfortable and with cruise control can do much longer distances.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information