1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 How Much Are 749r Wheels And Tank Worth?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Dr.D, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Hi all,
    I am debating putting the oem tank and wheels back on my 999. It currently has a oversized 749r tank and Marchesini forged 749r wheels, which if I do I’ll sell. I have been looking around to see how much they are worth but can’t find any for sale, does anyone have a rough idea what the are worth? Thanks

2. I payed 260 for a leaking 749r tank that needs repainting, I’m guessing you should be asking around 400-450 if it’s mint.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I think the tank is a rare item that is worth well over £500. I've one on my 999 too. It's a matter of being patient on the sale because if someone wants one then they haven't got many options. I've seen one go for £985 (that was a stored and unused item). There's one in the USA at the moment asking £600 plus taxes.

4. Hi mileypau, thanks for that. Mine is immaculate and I have the original box, packaging, pretty much like new. So good to know. Thanks

5. Asking prices aren't really the same as the prices they really go for. Anyone paying £1k for an ugly steel tank needs to get their head checked.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284618597408

6. But the main benefit is extended range, and rarity. Like the tanks on the 848 evo corse se and 1198s corse the benefit ie non expanding and rarity bump the price. I actually prefer the look of the 749r tank over the standard tank. Like most things, what one person finds attractive or chooses to spend their money on is not anothers, I know quite a few people who would think spending £2-4k on a exhaust system or replacing standard parts with carbon and the cost is bonkers but to most people on here, benefits, aesthetics and how it makes me feel outweigh that, and what is the point in earning money if you can't spend it on stupid things that make your heart race, otherwise its just boring lol, and we would all make the sensible decisions and drive Nissan Leaf's. But agree asking prices are not sold prices, and that one was on auction, so sold to the highest bidder present at the time (only 2) and influenced by the time of year it was listed, which is sometimes not a true reflection of value to someone else, and could be considered a bargain. There is still the temptation to keep it on my bike, the jury is still out :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aye it's a very different profile and not the prettiest of tanks - but I go practicality #1 and then it's fun in nerds' corner at bike meets when people are trying to suss what is different.

I'd stick it for sale at a fixed price and bide your time. Let's be honest there isn't a huge market for them - but that works both ways. They are rare.

20210330_142510.jpg

PS Consider the price of rear mono-subframes LOL

• Like Like x 1
  8. I don’t ride mine on the street but the pro arguments above made me chuckle.
    This tank is supposed to provide a better rest for your forearm on hang off, that’s why it’s there.
    A steel one from a 749R is nice but heavy, there are some cool one made from carbon which I run

3FDC8971-13D3-4611-8443-1C71182ED146.jpeg

F76C2378-2FE9-4BC6-80C1-45213DD3BBCA.jpeg

5301DE7D-4C18-4ABD-A5B7-7A873502981D.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  9. There is quite an active 749 / 999 owners group on Face Book. Anything like a 749r tank and wheels will be like cat nip for them. “Ducati 999/749 owners group”

The group is world wide, may be a good place to sell, if you decide too. Just be ready to ship world wide.

10. According to my knowledge, which comes from an expert, associated with Ducati Corse, this was by no means unintentionally

especially considering how small a 999 is you definitely need that tank as a means to keep in touch with the bike
    I am sure you have ridden on track back in the day and you will agree that without that tank it’s hard to “feel”

11. Lovely bike Don! Not to be argumentative, and no disrespect to your contact, but no top level racer rests their forearm on the tank. You/he may find it convenient/comfortable but the last thing you want is something in your way or restricting your movement. If what you say were correct why would they make it out of heavy steel? Surely they would just use a smaller/lighter 749/999 tank and add an appropriate lightweight carbon or foam extension or such like?

Sorry, labouring the point here, do any track skills training and the very thing they teach you with body positioning is to wedge your outside knee against the tank and to demonstrate they then take their hands completely off the bars, literally hanging off the bike from their outside leg/knee, no tank interface required. It's all "elbows up and out" and you should be able to "flap your elbows" as you are circulating so you are not putting any undue influence on the bars/suspension.....ya gotta be loose on the bike.

Again, no disrespect but the info from your contact seems like something from a much earlier era, with raked back clip-ons on and no steering dampers, these days the bar's are forward/out like a motox bike for leverage, you'd near pull a pec muscle trying to touch the tank.
    Andrea-Dovizioso-at-Le-Mans-for-the-2018-French-MotoGP-Cornering.jpg

ben-spies.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. My knowledge surely is from yesteryear as I am from yesteryear

When I moved on with my race 999 from regular shape to carbon tank in rs shape the whole feeling of the bike improved a lot

Modern day riding style involves indeed very different weights front and rear and a very different body position, nothing for me I have to admit
    More forward oriented bars on the hand still helped me a lot as well

13. If you decide to sell...a buddy of mine here in Holland is searching for 749R Marchesini's.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information