1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT How Often Do You Connect The Battery Charger During Winter Storage?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by pacix, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Hi to all again!

It seems winter is finally here and it will be my first one with the Multistrada DVT. With my previous bike (BMW R1200 RT from 2011) I used to connect the battery charger every 4 weeks during winter storage to make sure everything will work when spring will arrive.

Shall I do the same with the Multistrada DVT?

Note I don´t have the Ducati´s branded trickle charger, which you can leave connected. I have a CTEK MXS 5, which is similar to an Optimate, and it always worked perfectly with the previous bike and a car we don´t use during winter.

I would really appreciate any info.

2. I leave mine on my 916 and 1299 all the time. Although I may forget to replug 1299 in nowandagain. Doesnt seem to affect that. The 916 on the other hand, would just die and the battery would prob die too. I bought enough batteries for that goddamned machine in the 20yrs ive owned the bugger.

Ive a dual optimate III

#2 bootsam, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  3. I’ve got 2 chargers - the old Optimate stays attached to my oldest bike and my MXS 5 flips between one of my cars, my Multi and t’other bike. So I leave it attached to each for about a week at a time - a 3/4 week cycle. Seems to work well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I have a 2015 multi dvt , I leave my CTek connected constantly, have done over the last three winter periods ( I’m a fine weather rider ) I’m still on the same battery

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. I take my batteries off the bikes and into the house away from the frost. Re charge every 4-6 weeks.

TB

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I use mine in the winter, just try and make it on the dry days :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks a lot for your quick replays!!

I understood leaving the charger connected constantly was not the good option, but if you are still using the original battery, then this is the way to go.

If you are using the MXS 5 too, do you configure it with the “AGM” option or without it? I guess we have “standard” batteries, not AGM, but just to be sure.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Multistradas owners putting their bikes away for winter.....you are not serious come on???
    Yes Pantigirdles and other nice examples but this.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. With my bikes I put each one's battery on an overnight trickle every two or three weeks during the winter. Except the Multistrada, which I keep riding - I spray ACF-50 all over it about now, so it looks filthy but will scrub up OK in the springtime.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I have two Ducati trickle chargers. One for the panigale and one for the Scrambler. I keep them on all the time. So far, so good.

11. Have left my bikes on Optimates when I'm not riding them for years. No problems with lead acid, AGM and LiPo (with the Optimate LiPo charger) with any of them. Will continue to do so despite what some may say. Only batteries I've replaced was one on my old VFR that was 8 years old and when I swapped the crap OEM one on the MV for the LiPo.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Using the battery tender float charger (or off brand) leaving connected all winter or when I am away for awhile. Original battery died at 2 1/2 years. Usng same system on my BMW rt and replaced the battery at 7 years even though it had no problem.

13. I leave my Optimate 4 connected constantly. It is designed to work that way. It tests the voltage every 30 minutes and only gives a maintenance charge if necessary.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  14. Does the DVT have a normal lead acid battery? I have an old CTEK conditioner that I would like to use.

15. I also leave them on the trickle charger all year round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. trickle charger all the time

17. Battery tender all the time on all my bikes....never have a bad battery.

18. Never use a charger on either bike, never have done and never had a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Normal for my Multi, but my 749R does have an AGM battery, so I set it to AGM for that. These chargers are very good at adjusting their behaviour according to the state of the battery, so leaving them connected is more beneficial, not less. I try to leave it connected to each bike until green light 8 comes on (maintenance mode).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. I leave my Optimate on all winter on my Hyper ...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information