1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Often Do You Start The Bike During The Winter Lay-up

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Pras, Dec 22, 2016.

1. I've not used mine since the end of November.
    brimmed the tank added fuel stabilizer and I'm starting the bike once every 4 weeks.
    Its on a tickle charger in an unheated garage and boy does it struggle each time.

How often do you start yours if layed up for the winter ?

2. :Bag:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Don't start it at all.

No need.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Mines in a heated garage but won't be starting it until I go for a decent ride - moisture will find its way in and stop things lubricating so you want one good run to get it to flush it all out.

Keep the battery topped up with an optimiser and a decent run :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I would never start my bike without getting it out and riding it. I hate the thought of all the damage that I would be doing to the engine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Never

• Like Like x 1
  8. I was under the impression that it is better for the belts to start the engine every now and again rather than them sitting in the same position for months...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The issue is the fact the oil won't get hot enough. And in turn may emulsify.

Engines aren't designed to idle for ages and it won't evaporate the moisture in the motor

10. Put it on a paddock stand and in 6th gear and turn the rear wheel by hand every now and again. Only in the direction of travel though.

11. +1, she sits on a trickle charger until the sun reappears.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Never start any of them. They are on optimates though.

13. Like said.
    It's better not to just start it.
    Start it,drive it and get it up to temp. Or just leave it alone.

Henk!!!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Rev. Ian Paisley MP [in strong Northern Irish accent]: "Never! Never! Never!"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. he means this btw. never, as in never. he prefers to mount them.
    on a wall.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I have so many, what can you do :Facepalm: 2 on the road even now :Finger::Mooning:

17. You commute don't you :Shifty:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information