1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Old Is Too Old? (tyre Question!)

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by chizel, Mar 4, 2020.

1. hi dudes and dudettes..
    I think i know how most will answer, Why risk it... but out of interest, how old would be to old for tyres on a bike youve not ridden for a while..
    ive not ridden my 748 for 3 years now and the tyres were about 6 months old before i stopped riding it.... they only have a few thousand miles on em at most.... im about to get some mag wheels refurbed so will have to fit tyres. would it be unwise to reuse the ones i have?

2. There isn't a definitive answer, as far as I'm aware... but, I argue you value yourself, and the bike, at more than a set or tyres. If the bike hasn't been up on stands, then renew definitely!

Just my opinion!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. If kept out of the light (wrapped) and dry they will last years - they won't deteriorate.
    If in a darkened room / shed / garage they should be fine if a few years old - see how they feel :thinkingface:
    Go steady as if you are breaking them in at first.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. When I asked my tyre supplier, their advice was, no older than 8 years. Many years ago, a motorcycle guru of my acquaintance said, if the impression left by a fingernail pressed into the tyre does not recover and disappear within a short period of time, discard the tyre. Andy

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mine have been in a cool workshop (temperature wise!) and out of direct sunlight for the time its been of the road and probably spent half that time up on sands, the back nearly all that time but i need the front stand for other bikes a lot. the bike is moved at least weekly also.
    will try this fingernail test and see what happens. on my old 749 i had a big scare with tyres of about 5 years old, not sure how it was stored but they hadnt been run in about 3 years which is why im asking, prior to that scare i probably wouldnt of even thought about tyre age if they had tread on em!

6. My bike has had many spells of being stood up for months at a stretch .
    I usually deflate the tyres a little , and have the wheels off the ground
    if possible .... and one time it was left for 3 years .

I warm it up , then warm the tyres and then start pushing them .
    No scrotum-tightening moments on the ride ? .... good sign
    No missing chunks from the tyre , or other surface nonsense ... better still !

That's my test .....
    ... but someone told me that there are now date stamps
    on the carcass of some tyres ..... I don't know which category of vehicle
    or even which country , but it can lead to an MoT fail ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Did a tracknight at Cadwell on some 20 year old Pirelli Dragon Evos last autumn... they were great once scrubbed back in. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. There you go - no UV, no deterioration ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I worried for about 5 mins, then they didn't explode so I went back to concentrating on not crashing... :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. I could well have a pair of almost brand new (not even scrubbed in) Michelin’s pilot power going cheap (very, to you bud) in the next month or so. They are on my project and I want different rubber.
    The rear is a 190 though not sure if this would work in the 748?

• Like Like x 1
  11. I ran a 190 on my 748R but it was a 6” rim not the standard 5.5”. Andy

12. I dare not ask him what size his rim is. people will talk. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wot if you bite yer nails? (asking for a buddy)..

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. #14 noobie, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Surely Feb/Mar 2017? :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. adjusted :eek::blush:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. why do you want different rubber? tbh and i dont mean to sound rude or ungrateful for you offer at all, but ive ran michelin pilots before and didnt like em much at all... im not one to be able to tell you exactly what a tyre is doing but with the bridgestones i just feel like i can fit and forget... have em on all my bikes and have done for many years. its probably mostly in my head though.

#17 chizel, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  18. and a 190 will fit on my 748 now as i have new wheels but having run one on the 900 i will stick with the 180... this is another question i was gunna ask, with the 6 inch rim i will now be using, how will that effect the same tyre i was using on the 5.5 wheel? id imagine it would have a small effect on its profile? again, probably not something id notice but out of interest......

19. Bike came with brand new Michelin’s but like you I like my own favourite tyres (gave s22 Bridgestone on the 748 which are excellent) hence the swap out.
    Re sizes I think this again is a personal thing. I have been recommended (by someone who knows what they are doing) to run a 180 on this bike (currently on 190) as apparently you get better turn in. Many differing views on this I suspect and is covered in other tyre threads.

20. Pump em up and ride it, you’ll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information