1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Adjust The Gear Shift Lever On A V4

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bootneck, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Hi all this is my first post, i have just purchased a V4 but I need to adjust the gear lever as it is too high for me as I'm missing the odd gear or two, to over come this I have tried following the instructions in the owners manual below but what ever i do I still cant get it to adjust.
    I have loosened nut 2 however I cannot get the long spindle arm 1 to turn, I tried to put a spanner on the end of the spindle next to nut 2 to turn it but it will not move and I have started to round of this nut, I tried to put a spanner on the cut out A but due to the fairing in the way I cannot get a decent purchase on it to move it, I have been told that I need to take off the lower fairing on that side however before I take off the lower fairing etc I thought I would ask if I'm doing something wrong and if there is a quick and easy way to adjust the gear lever without all the hassle of removing the lower fairing.

I have tried to do some research myself, what I have come across on other Ducati forums is: it states I have to remove the rear set and the dismantle the linkage by a ball join to adjust it which completely contradicts the owners manual I have added below.

Any help on this matter is gratefully received

Gear Lever Adjustment.png

2. I've not had to adjust mine personally, but removing the fairing is easy so I would suggest just doing that mate and avoid rounding any nuts or slipping and damaging something else...

3. Thread moved and why don’t you introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too, Dave

4. Are you turning the rod in the correct direction?

5. I cant get it to turn at all, ive un locked the end nut to free the rod, I have then tried to turn the rod by putting spanner on the knurled part and also on the cut out, however I cant get a decent purchase on it and I don't want to put too much pressure on it as I could damage the QS, Im thinking removing the fairing my help but it doesn't say this in the manual it just shows a straight forward way which isn't working for me

6. The manual is just wrong. It was wrong for the 1299 too which uses the same rod parts. The end up by the black box is a right hand thread and on mine had LOTS of thread lock on it. The other end is a right hand thread too! Doh! So you have to follow the alt advice and adjust it by disassembly of the ball joint with the rearset off the bike. Just be thankful that taking the sets off the V4 is easier than it was on the 1299...

7. Ok thanks, this is something ill have to wait to do then as I believe that I will need to get a torque wrench etc to do it, would you know the torque setting for the rear sets and for the ball joint, I cant believe that it would be that hard to adjust the gear lever height:weary_face:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information