1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Decide?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Mac, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Took the newest BMW R1250RS Exclusive (with all the toys) out for a 3 hour spin yesterday.

I honestly wasn't expecting much from only 134bhp, but, damn, I was wrong. It had instant, linear power in pretty much any part of the rev range (using correct gears). 105 lbft of torque at 6,250 revs is 2 more than the latest SuperDuke GT (but the Duke has 170 bhp) that I tested recently, and both pull like a train. The differences in the figures for road use are negligible - you wouldn't tell until way over the ton. Riding position and comfort was similar to the Duke, but the Duke had slightly less cramped leg position and is slightly easier on the wrists. BMW pegs felt a little higher and further forward. I think I'd want some bar risers on the RS for longer distances, but my knees were fine, as was my lower back.

Steering is suitably light and the bike is nicely flickable. It reminded me very much of an S100RR, just more roomy. Duke was perhaps a little more pointable due to the lighter mass. Suspension was active and excellent on both. The RS still has Brembo brakes (not the Hayes ones, as on the RT and GS) and they were typically fantastic. The tank is quite high and I didn't slide forward under emergency (test) braking. All the usual lean sensitive ABS, traction control, anti-wheelie magic was there (as on the Duke - same Bosch system, I think).

The BMW (standard) seat is the comfiest I've been on in many a year - some kind of thick, squidgy foam/gel. Very, very nice. I'm 17.5 stone so I appreciate these things more than the average rider ;) BMW screen was good in both positions and I had clean air in both. I'm 6ft tall. Up/down quickshifter was a little clunky/lurchy when changing not at the ideal revs, but not too bad. Duke's was better, I feel. Perhaps this is because of the BMW's shaft drive.

The 6.5 inch TFT was clear, easy to use and a good resolution. Disappointed that BMW only gave a free app for turn by turn navigation rather than a full map sat nav. I find it shocking in this day and age that I can't just use it to just display any app from my phone by bluetooth. It's definitely milking the BMW/Garmin sat nav sales. Usual BMW scroll wheel is intuitive once you realise it clicks sideways. Luggage options are not amazing (30L top box) and panniers are similar size (one with an exhaust cut out) but I suppose it's only a sports tourer. Would it kill them to make the rear sub-frame a few mm thicker to support more weight, though?

It suffers from the same kind of bar vibes that the XR has, but not as bad and didn't make my hands numb like the XR did. I was only thinking about it at 4-6K revs, not feeling it off the bike and it wasn't too intrusive after the initial shock.

Overall, very, very impressive. Just don't know how to choose between the BMW and KTM now. I can feel a spreadsheet comparison coming up.

2. Shaft and that agricultural box mean the QS and blipper are clunky imo. I cant think of any bike that actually has nav of any kind in the screen, like the beemer thru the app. Can be challenging to get it working, but it’s really easy on the move, and if you have a headset I believe it can deliver tun by turn instructions too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yeah, but it's so easy for them to bluetooth any app. It's just a money making scheme not to. They could have put a 10" tablet on bikes years ago for about £10.

4. Point is they have innovated. And at least you get all the stuff you need on the bike and a 3yr guarantee it works ;)

#bmwfanboi

5. The obvious one missing from that duo is the trio partner of the aprilia tuono v4 1100rr or factory

6. Entirely different bike.

7. The tuono is always the right bike :D

8. Not if you want to tour, and some wind and weather protection and take more than pants and socks with you ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Good point raised about the BMW 3 year warranty and BMW service costs are not to bad, just paid £170 for first year service on my s1000r inc brake fluid change my Panigale was in for yearly service at the same time £280.

10. Warranty, depreciation, shaft drive, tyre wear. All better on BMW.

Quickshifter must be somewhat improved from the first 1290 gt, more of a slowshifter, with some nasty missed gears during fast overtakes in the Dolomites. The excitement of the KTM quickly became disappointment for me, along with very fast rear tyre wear, silly wheel nut size and extreme discomfort that did not surface till after a few days riding.
    Some people love them though and maybe the bike fits them better.

11. I spent 25 years using "BMW riders" as a pejorative term. "Accountants are out today for a ride" etc. Then I got one... they're ace.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. My 1299 is gone and my new 1250GSA HP is due mid September.
    I never thought the day would come that I would buy a bloody GS, but after riding the 1250 I understand why they are the consistent best seller.
    I’m getting old!!!

13. Very old :p

14. Cheers Bradders!!!
    It’s bad enough admitting I own a GS without you taking the p###!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. ...you bunch of tossers..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thread moved

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. To the wasteland...:confused::joy:

Starting to need a bmw section ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ohhhh I dunno, look at Chiz, he conquered europe on a Scrambler, without even using the standard Scrambler extra of a top box full of metrosexual grooming products :D

19. Like me, he couldn’t touch the floor on a Tuono either..

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Bought a gsa 1200 triple black in January 2017 around july it then developed an engine issue which I told the dealer was a valve issue they decided to proceed and pull my poor bike apart including splitting the engine when I learned of this I informed them I wouldn't accept the bike back ! bmw replaced the bike and even agreed to letting me have a s1000rr for 6 months including replacing the tyres when I wore them out so I could get the new reg in January 2018 there warranty is super !! turns out after all there mechanics messing with it , it was a broken valve spring

#20 theskitz, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
Do Not Sell My Personal Information