1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To: Enjoy Your Forum Experience ...

Discussion in 'Forum How To's - create an Avatar/Event/Group etc?' started by Loz, Jan 4, 2015.

1. I thought now would be a good time to remind my fellow contributors of a method for achieving the kind of forum you'd really like to see here.

The amount of bellyaching, counter-bellyaching and counter-counter-bellyaching here on the forums is rising to near kindergarden-pitch. I'm starting to believe that some of it is actually genuine.

All of this can be avoided through careful use of the Forum tools we have available here. One really important point, though and I cannot stress how important it really is. In order to avoid "descending to their level" or otherwise being seen by others to be a "pissy little bitch", you have to obey one or two commandments, as set out below. Ignoring these "rules" defeats the whole object of the exercise. Trust me, twenty years spent on forums has shown me that this to be absolutely true.

So,

Rule 1: You don't tell people publicly that you've done this.

Rule 2: You do NOT tell people publicly that you've done this.

Clear so far? Let's go.

Step 1: Locate a post by the person you no longer wish to see posting here. I have selected a poster at random and I can tell you, I've no intention of applying the solution in this particular case. It's purely for illustrative purposes.

Step 2: Click on his name ...

upload_2015-1-4_18-17-34.png

Step 3: From the pop-out menu, select "Ignore"

upload_2015-1-4_18-17-12.png

Step 4: There is no Step 4.

Step 5: Do not announce to the World what you have just done.

Step 6: Enjoy a forum that features one less reason for your morose, bad-tempered, depressed and distressed existence on the planet.

Step 7: Do not announce to the World what you have just done.

Honestly, everyone, including you, will have a much better forum experience with far fewer irritations. The added bonus will be that, by not telling everyone who you have on "Ignore", you won't force other people to put up with a lot of pissy posting and bellyaching when those people "retaliate".

This is a prudent plan for a prosperous and friendly forum and I commend it to the house.
    Oh, and one more thing: FFS just do it. Seriously.

Fare well and goodbye - some of you, at least.

Edit:

There is more that you can do to improve your forum experience!
    Keep getting that useless (to you) thread popping up when you refresh the New Posts page?

Make it go away, here:

upload_2019-1-1_11-24-15.png

Click on Ignore Thread near the top of the page and put a tick in the appropriate box(es). For me, it's enough to tick the "New Posts" box as I normally access the latest threads via the New Posts command. You can however zap the thread completely by selecting the Thread List option.

What if every thread in a sub-Forum annoys you?
    You're here for the build threads, you have no interest in politics, why do you have to suffer? Well, you don't.
    Ignore "Speakers Corner" with ease, or indeed any sub-Forum you have no interest in:

upload_2019-1-1_11-29-17.png

Again, select the New Posts option, etc and be no longer troubled by those annoying oiks who never talk bikes, only political BS.

With the tools here - Ignore Member, Ignore Thread, Ignore Forum - you need have no complaints ever again about the best Ducati Forum on the planet. Or at the very least, you'll need to find other ways of getting annoyed about it all.

#1 Loz, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1

2. Brilliant.....
    I actually did this for you a while back....then took it back off.
    Note sure why I took it back off...but I'm glad I did.

As I say to the missus...
    There are normally two or more ways to take something said..
    If I've annoyed you...I meant it the other way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1. Did I get added to the ignore list then.
    2. Was it because of my bad grammar
    3. My Grammar was not that bad.
    4. WTF you talking about ?
    5. Why isn't there a step 4 you arse
    6. Why you picking on Exige you arse
    7. Who the feck are you?
    8. I have you on my ignore list
    9. Just to reiterate 8. I have you on my ignore list.
    10. Why can't I tell the world who I have blocked?

Is none of the above acceptable then ? Damn............... :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. [​IMG]

5. Thanks for using me as an example :) - just had one idiot complaining, he's been on the forum as long as me and has less than 50 positive ratings compared to my near 2000. Wish they would just fuck off to be honest and find a Forum especially for them with no other members.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. WTF, see you're breaking the rules already that was a PM I sent you and now you blab your mouth off FFS some people :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nob :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. How many times must I tell you to stop talking to yourself, people are beginning to think your nut's :D

Nuts.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Can you do the pictures again as I have just changed my Avatar :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Knob
    Maybe you should consider this as your avatar picture :)

Knob.jpg

11. I would choose my own knob, nob :) (and no not mine before you start)

12. No please don't there are etiquette's on here and I think that would break them on several levels

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. You guys realise Loz cant respond because he cant see your posts, right?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Who said that? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I have 2 on already, a couple more may be added

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Shhh, don't tell anyone you like me really :Bag:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. I find that if you treat it like being in the pub you'll soon get the most out of it. Apart from not getting lashed :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I've only got 1 on my ignore list. Forgot I had to be honest so it's obviously doing its job and I'm not missing any of his content.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Testing...testing...hello?

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information