1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Remove Melted Rubber From Polished Exhaust Pipes

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Outliar, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Any thoughts?

Must be from my boots. I was thinking of trying tar remover?

The pipes are polished, so I want to avoid using anything too abrasive.

Thanks

2. Brake cleaner?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I use t cut or solvol autosol on my pipes, works a treat for me:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. +1 for brake cleaner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Heat the exhaust & use a softish wooden stick to remove the top gooey layer then brake cleaner rest off. Avoid breath fumes if doing it whilst its hot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks everyone for those suggestions, will get some brake cleaner and autosol. Will let you know with photos how it goes.

7. Every garage should have brake cleaner and autosol. ,-)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Heh.... I had this (boot melted onto it) .... Was wondering how to get it off....cjs dyno services.... A day on the dyno and it cracked off and left no marks.... :)

9. Nail varnish remover should work as it's basically acetone.

10. Some newer stuff isn't, it says "no acetone" in big letters, my wife had none with acetone, I had to find some at the chemist. I think fake nail remover still has it but I'm no expert.

11. So, no raiding the bathroom cabinet any more... :(

12. I know! I was gutted! Sometimes I wonder the point in a wife anymore!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Some people might very well think that but I couldn't possibly comment... ;)

14. other idea might be extreme cold (plumber's freeze spray) and pick off with a plastic spatula type of device when rubber gets really hard.

yes, I fell foul of the acetone-free nail varnish remover. my youngest was putting an airfix model together and got something in the wrong place so immediately looked for nail varnish remover to break the glue down. took me ages to realise why it wasn't working...

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  15. I have a similar problem although not rubber.

Basically I managed to drop a micro fibre cloth whilst cleaning around the headstock, it then somehow dropped down and landed perfectly on the header of my lovely Akrapovic evo full titanium system :Facepalm:

I grabbed it quickly but it's left loads of small black bubbles of what I can only presume is melted polyester.

What's the best way to deal with this almighty catastrophe?

Run the bike up to temp and scrape with wooden spatula?

Would that start spreading it around, how else could I tackle this one?

16. Thinners worked for me on a silencer. Metal polish would work but would also polish the pipe in that area. Jif might remove the plastic but is not hard enough to polish the metal.
    Titanium is very hard, so you could scrape off the excess with something like copper, aluminium or brass without affecting the pipe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well so far I've got a wooden spatula out in the garage before the Mrs notices, I'm also looking around for anything aluminium, brass or copper.....Can't think of anything I can use other than an empty beer can :)

I guess a Stanley blade is too harsh?

I'll also have to wait a while before starting her up because of the neighbours

18. Oven cleaner?

I've never tried it myself, but some of the baked on gunk it shifts in ovens is very similar. It could be very aggressive, so I would suggest trying on an unseen area 1st.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Titanium should in theory be harder than the Stanley blade but I wouldn't risk it.
    Do you not have any copper pipe?
    The tab from an aluminium can should be fairly sharp or you can cut the can up with scissors to make a scraper.
    Oven cleaner might work...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information