1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Run A New Engine In

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Mark9, Nov 17, 2018.

1. I found this interesting (unfortunately presented by an American but you can’t have everything)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Watched it the other day, very good I thought.

3. Very interesting. I've never ran an engine in, in my life. :imp:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeh. A few years ago i bought a Kawasaki KDX 220 from bikesport Newcastle. Asking how long should i run it in for. Answer 1 tank of gas then its all done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have no evidence either way but I would think that the big thing is for engine life - not what is going to make a difference after 1000 miles. The ring gap on the not run in engine was different but they just discounted this, Whilst the gap is within tolerance then there will be no difference in the power of the engines. If the not run in engine ring gap goes out of spec quicker then this will mean that the not run in engine will require a rebuild sooner. If that difference is, say, 30,000 miles compared to 60,000, then the majority of bikes never see that mileage and so there will be no discernible difference.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I prefer having the manufacture on my side when/if something major goes awry. They have black boxes on all modern gear & know how you've treated the engines.

7. Race engines don't get run in do they?

8. They tend to get rebuilt slightly more often than road bikes.Matt in the Workshop,has a good youtube vid on this very thing.

9. No, but they are not expected to last 30,000 miles either. Or even 10,000.

10. ...and the tolerences on the components used are more tightly controlled...

11. And so what? Riding about like miss daisy for the first 5 miles or whatever is won't make any difference warranty wise. Thrash em from the crate I say ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. My uncle's shop! Small world an all that.

13. Don’t they normally get run in on the bench.

14. S1000 is limited to 9500 until first servcie. And fella said ride as normal don’t worry.. :upyeah:

15. Limiting rpm for the first *** miles and incremental upward settings thereafter, is a piss easy software implementation. If it was critical all manufactures would do it. But they don't. Because it isn't.

Lovin the bimmer? Nice bikes :):upyeah:

16. If I'm not mistaken when a manufacturer tests an engine prior to it going out they razz the tits off it anyway :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Yeah, I think I once read that at Ducati all engines undergo a 6 minute 'load test' 6 minutes is a loooong time.... Not sure if it's flat stick for 6 minutes (I doubt it) but for sure it'll be put through it's paces.

18. I was told this by one of the head honcho's in DOC who visits the factory regularly, and he reckoned they get thrashed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Also my 'limited' understanding of Ducati procedure. I believe historically all engines were run on compressed air to prove they were good but more recently they are fuelled up and red lined before leaving the factory. If they can take that then running in is a personal preference :upyeah:
    I remember Top Gear doing a side by side test of Golf GTI's - MK2's I think (not bikes I know but you get the drift) one was low miles (can't remember what) and the other was past 60,000. The high miles car smoked the low miles car and when I test drove similar cars it seemed to confirm it to me - over 60,000 nicely loosened up. One of my mates then disagreed and said 'if you thrash them from new it does the same'. I'm usually a bit cautious by nature but believe thrashing from new isn't at all bad :)

20. The couple of times ive done the factory tour ,after being run up on air they've then been thrashed on a dyno ,only for a few minutes but thrashed all the same.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information