1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyper 796 Wiring Question?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Stuwindsurf, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Hi there

Can anyone tell me if the indicators on a Hypermotard 796 2010 are wired with a positive feed and an intermittent negative from the flasher relay? I thought most bikes had a fixed negative earth with an intermittent live feed from the flasher relay?? But when I put a test meter on the wires to the indicators, one side of the wiring is live as soon as the ignition is switched on and the other side seems to be earthed with the pulsing from the relay!!

Hope I have explained that clearly enough o_O

I have a cd manual for the bike but the wiring diagram has an expired link so I can not view it!

Thanks
    Stuart

2. Thats a pretty technical answer...whats the problem your having?

3. Are they controlled by the ECU as on the 1100?

4. Thanks for your replies.

In answer to your questions....

Are they controlled by the ECU as on the 1100?

I believe they are controlled by the ECU? There is no external flasher relay that I do know.

Thats a pretty technical answer...whats the problem your having?

It's not so much a problem I am having, at least not with a standard set up. I am buiding a custom bike using a Hypermotard 796 as the base. The rear light is from a Yamaha which has built in internal LED indicators. When wiring them up to the Ducati wiring they were staying on as soon as the ignition was switched on. When I checked the Ducati indicator wires with a test meter I noticed that the feed to the indicators was live as soon as the ignition was turned on. This led me to believe that they have a permanent live feed with a switched negative from the flasher relay.

I have sorted this problem by fitting a couple of relays using the Ducati wires to power the coil part of the relays and the Yamaha light wires running from the switched part of the relays.

I just thought it strange that Ducati would wire them with a permanent live feed! If anyone has a link to a wiring diagram for a Hypermotard 796 that would be really helpful!

Thanks Stu

5. The 1100s and standard never needed relays as there was a setting hidden within the dash service menu to switch on the LED indicators (not sure if the 796 has that option) if not then what youve done it right. I will say that whenever i tried to put a rear integrated light into my 1100evo (my last hyper) i could never get them to work (tried 3)

6. I found the exact same when I tried to fit an integrated tail light to my 796. I solved it in the same way as you too, although I decided to keep my standard indicators in the end.

@comfysofa Does the 1100evo's dash have an option for the indicators? I've tried finding indicator settings on my 796 with no avail.

7. Not on the evo, no (nor the sp) for some inexplicable reason they took it out on the later models....got resistors in on my evo sp..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ok, I have just noticed another problem, when I start the bike up and the engine is running, the indicators pulse rather than flash, but when the engine isn't running they flash perfectly??

I'm wondering if when the engine is running and the stator is putting out a current it is effecting them somehow? I have load equalisers fitted which seem to work fine or at least when the engine isn't running. Any ideas anyone?

Neeps, did you have the same issue?

Thanks Stu

10. Probably because when the engine is stopped the battery voltage is only around 12.5 - 12.7 volts. When the engine is running the voltage will be 14V or more.
    FWIW. Integrated indicators will no longer pass an MOT.

11. Thanks for your reply. I think it might be that the front LED indicators need resistors too, I didn't bother because the originals were LED and the new ones seemed to be behaving themselves...until I fired up the engine that is!

Like you say the stator is boosting the voltage when the engine is running which may be affecting the flasher relay with not having resistors fitted up front. I think I'll try fitting some and see what happens!

Thanks Stu

12. Thanks for your reply. I think it might be that the front LED indicators need resistors too, I didn't bother because the originals were LED and the new ones seemed to be behaving themselves...until I fired up the engine that is!

Like you say the stator is boosting the voltage when the engine is running which may be affecting the flasher relay with not having resistors fitted up front. I think I'll try fitting some and see what happens!

Thanks Stu

13. There is no flasher relay. The flash rate is controlled electronically by the dash. Most current Ducatis will run LED indicators with no load resistors but I can't say that for certain about the 796 Hyper.
    You mention that you have no wiring diagram. I hope you find the attached one useful.
    As you will see, as you already found out there is a switched 12v to the indicators which are earthed by the dash. The dash provides the flash.
    I have also attached instructions for accessing the service menu, although it may not apply to your bike.

Attached Files:

14. I can't remember if I actually started the bike with the integrated indicators hooked up, sorry.

Also IIRC the indicators in the handguards have load resistors built in so you'll need some for the tail too.

15. Thanks for the wiring diagram Derek, that's really helpful! :eek:)

I will give the service menu a try, but I have a feeling that feature isn't available on the 796 from what I have read.

I have fitted Motogadget blaze bar end LED 7w indicators up front without any resistors and I'm wondering if they have a different wattage to the originals and maybe that's whats confusing the dash!

I'm not sure what the wattage of the originals are but I have a couple of 10w resistors on order to give a try.

Stu

16. Thanks Neeps

You wouldn't happen to know what the wattage of the OEM handguard indicators are by any chance?

Cheers Stu

17. Whoops, they must not have load resistors after all as this is what's marked on the handguard:
    [​IMG]
    Since you're using higher wattage indicators in their place that could be causing the pulsing.

18. Also the original rear bulb indicators are 10W. I guess you'll have to match the two different wattages in order to get the correct flash rate; 10W on the rear and 3.11W at the front.

19. Thanks again for the info!

I may have a problem there then, my front indicators are 7w! I will have to look in to how to reduce the wattage if that' possible! I belive the load resistors are all designed to increase the load!

Thanks Stu

Do Not Sell My Personal Information