1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyper 950sp Lower Seat

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by jose, Dec 25, 2019.

1. F/U on the lower seat..

To my surprise , I got the Ducati 20mm lower seat for Christmas, something I did not want to buy due to only being 20mm lower.
    I really didn't think 20mm would make a difference to justify spending $300 .

Well, surprise surprise.. I put the seat on and for the first time , I was able to put the balls of Both feet down. If I shift my but as I use to with the stock seat, I can actually flat foot one side.
    With the stock seat being so high and me being 5 foot 8 inches tall, every time I stopped, I had to plan where my foot was going to land which really sucked. Always worried at an intersection if I would be able to reach or not. Now, I can put either foot down without even thinking about it. I can't believe how much more enjoyable it is to ride not having to worry about where I need to strategically stop for a good foot plant.

I am thankful to my wife who heard me on the phone with a dealer researching this lower seat, asking him if I should get it or not. 20 mm is basically the size of a US Penney , doesn't seem like it would make any difference but holy cow , it really does.

To those who are contemplating this seat, don't overthink it like I did. I was out with my bike and a ruler trying to convince myself of a 20mm difference.
    The thing is , you can't just go by the 20mm. The dip in the seat is more than the stock, making it seem lower than 20mm. The ride as far as cushion is no difference than the stock.
    One thing I did notice is when giving full throttle , with the stock seat I would slide back a little. With the new seat, due to more of a dip, I don't slide at all.
    The new seat looks more dipped like the 939 seat.

So to those vertically challenged, these $300 is a complete bike comfort makeover , trust me, it is the best advice to shorter ridders that I can give you, you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Totally agree with the above - best money ever spent. I'm 5'9" and a bit and makes all the difference.

3. Can anyone with the lowered seat post a comparison picture with the regular seat, sitting on the bike with feet on the ground?

Very curious to see a side by side comparison.

4. Picked up a lowered seat. I am 5 foot 8, and you can see the difference here in the pics.

6.PNG

5. Hi!
    Awesome, could you please share the link where it can be bought?

Thanks!

6. I got it from ebay for $233 including tax and shipping in the USA.

Note: The listing is for the race seat 96880761A - Racing Seat Hypermotard 950 (15mm lower)
    but the vendor also has the lowered seat which I wanted 96880751A - Lowered Seat Hypermotard 950 (20mm lower)

Contact the vendor and make sure he has the lowered seat 751A. I made an offer of $200 for it which he accepted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223590911093

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Do you think the low seat could be shaved about 1cm/0,5" to drop it even a bit lower? Thanks for the write-up it's been very useful.

8. That would be awesome if the lower seat could be a bit lower. I kind of don’t think so, since it it going to be very close to the frame of the seat if you shave more foam.
    I guess the only way to find out is to take it to an Upholstry guy to have him check.

9. Actually in some seats they do it by removing the foam an by inserting other stuff like a special gel or so. That has the ability to sink in but remain ergonomic at the same time. the most important thing though is to make sure you don't lose the waterproof effect after customizing the seat. I don't own a HM950 yet. I am coming from a Desert Sled and want to make sure before I order the bike that it could be a bit lower than the Desert Sled seat height. Now with the pandemic it is difficult to test myself. Also dealerships usually do not have low seats in stock so you have to find someone who did it.

10. If you are near Southern California, you are welcome to check my bike to see if it is good for you.

11. Thank you. I am located in Europe...South East Europe. Let's hope that weird times and winter pass quickly.

12. That’s too bad , I hope you can find a dealer that will help you try out a lower seat. Let them know that you are serious about buying so that they go all out to help you.

13. I bought already in the past 2 bikes from them but we are not allowed to travel outside our region due to covid-19 quarantine. and I know that dealers even the main dealership don't have low seats in stock but we will find a way. let's keep ourselves healthy and we will make it happen.

14. Let me know what you find out. Stay safe.

15. I will report back.

16. @Pard Is this an SP so with your lowered seat it would be the same as with the standard seat on the 950 non SP.

#16 al803, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I share a video where you can see how it looks when the rider is 5 7"...

18. Yes, it is an SP, good point on the height difference vs non-sp

19. I also think inseam is what matters. I mean if you compare your photo with the ams dallas video I'd say if you were on the standard hyper 950 with the lower seat you could almost flatfoot...while check the 5 7 guy on the standard hyper 950, he's on tippy toes...it does not look like 2 inches difference...anyway.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information