1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard 1100/795 Running Light Conversion.

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by comfysofa, Mar 31, 2019.

1. As above. One of the lads on the Ducati.ms forum posted his invention to which i promptly replied "take my money!" so he did. Absolutely brilliant conversion. I like mods that sit within the OEM look and this does perfectly. Theres some extra wiring to do which i must confess i didnt realize when i started so, although this is done, its not done (to me) as once it was apart and i realized what i needed to do i required some extra stuff to make it right as it were so, thats on order and ill revisit it once ive got my other build out of the way (my mates CB125m) which is he desperate to get back on the road. Bear with me as ive got a load of photos on my phone which i need to upload. Essentially theres a second set of white LED's that run alongside the indicator line. When the indicators are activated it switches off the running light for the indicator to work, then once the indicator is cancelled the running light automatically comes back on....neat. So, heres the job finished but ill put the steps in (that i made) ...

20190331_125323.jpg

20190331_125333.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. 20190330_162612.jpg
    Take off the sidepanels and tank cover. Take out the indicators. This is the bit that requires a bit of patience....i used a stanley knife to start to prize the clear part away from the black backing. Once thats apart then removing the actual indicator part is quite easy. The indicator part (from a rewiring point of view are very straightforward (simple soldering is all thats required). The extra wiring is a second set of wires runs the running lights.

20190330_161550.jpg
    20190330_162617.jpg
    20190330_163301.jpg
    There's the difference between the oem and the aftermarket.
    20190330_163307.jpg

#2 comfysofa, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  3. The next thing is to get the extra wiring in. So, first of all i used some standard mains cabling and stripped it from the outer so im left with Blue, and Brown. The route i took was to pass the 2 cables through the front of the bike from the left, to the right at the front of the bike. The Blue (my negative/ground) i took to the mounting point just behind (to the left) of the fuse box, crimped a ring connector on the end. Easy. 20190331_110450.jpg 20190331_110040.jpg 20190331_104508.jpg 20190331_104533.jpg 20190331_104439.jpg 20190331_105834.jpg 20190331_105919.jpg 20190331_105705.jpg 20190331_105808.jpg
    The brown wire is spliced into my qs... I couldnt see the point of hacking into the oem loom any more than I had to. I used a long screwdriver with the 2 cables taped to the end to get them through. I've gone through the protective wiring boot so that when it's all done the indicators and running lights unplug in the same place. Oh yeah - i used amalgamating tape instead of pvc. Once wrapped (you stretch it while applying it) it then vulcanizes and seals....better than pvc.

#3 comfysofa, Mar 31, 2019
  4. Next is to prepare the indicators...now at this point its not how i want it to be but, it will suffice for the moment. Ive ordered some new heatshrink as ive ran out and some waterproof connectors too.

20190331_111602.jpg 20190331_110801.jpg 20190331_115012.jpg 20190331_114718.jpg
    So i run the new cables alongside the the existing cabling. Once theyre both back in and on the bike i splice the 2 browns from the indicators and the 2 blues from the indicators together and then terminate with a pressed bullet connector. Then the wires coming from the switched fuse wire (brown) and the ground (blue) are then plugged into the indicators.

Just to add that i drilled the extra hole for the additional wiring in that recess you see - but, i would say it would be better to drill it just to the left or right of the oem wiring as it will hide behind the guard that covers the wiring. Just an observation.

#4 comfysofa, Mar 31, 2019
  5. If anyone wants a set then contact Mark (i think he's recently registered on here) - his email (and paypal) address is [email protected]. He's a really nice guy, sent me pics of them being constructed and in turn the delivery tracking number too. Mine cost 90 quid GBP delivered. Top bloke - thanks very much Mark.!!

6. Thx Andy your trust and trying this out!! Cool to see an idea and project i build just for myself also is loved by other people :D!

For the rest of you guys, im the one that designed and made this running light system :). Below the story of how this was build that was posted on ducati.ms a while back.

------
    An idea that has been in my head for some time now, but just didn’t have the time to execute it. Now I finally finished it!!

White LED running lights in the hand guards of my Hypermotard 1100. Automatically changes from white to orange when you turn on the turn signal, and changes back circa 1.5 sec after turning the turn signal off.

I recreated the original Ducati turn signal PCB’s with exactly the same dimensions, just with completely different electronics onboard. From a first prototype to 3 different iterations of electronic designs I finally have a perfectly working product!

It was a hefty investment of time and money to get this done, but again I gained an enormous amount of knowledge. Power efficient power supplies, heat management etc etc. Personally I think its a major succes!

Unfortunately it is not a plug and play solution. You have to break open your turn signal housings and after that glue it all back together to get it waterproof again.

Everything is off course connected to a switched power wire and the lights use about 0.2A/2.4W per side. Temperature of the inside housing is around 40C with an ambient temp of 21C. More then acceptable and enough margin for hot summers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#6 ampsource, Mar 31, 2019
  7. Cool as

8. Very neat indeed. Well done all!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information