1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard 1100 Engine Failure.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by comfysofa, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Well....it was going so well...!

Reassembled after the engine cases were recoated. I took it apart and laid everything out in order so it went back together the same way. Filled with oil, started, topped up (as I usually do)

Went out. Felt ok...got it warmed up. Forgot to tighten the oil filler cap, went back home (not far out) tightened it up. I might add that while it was apart I cleaned it up. Made sure all the bit of instant gasket were cleaned off...went round it twice on both sides.

So, after being on it for about 15 mins it feels ok, Nissan GTR passes me at mach 10 so I open it up, feels hollow sounding, 4th gear it cuts out.... and here we are.

Roll to a stop, try to start but its not turning the engine over so I'm guessing at this point its seized....no oil loss, sight glass is showing the right amount

So, from here onwards I'm in the dark a little bit. Ive not had the engine out of the hyper ever but doesn't seem to hard from what I can see. Well, the next job was to get the barrel's recoated so it looks like I am now!!

Incoming advice all welcome.

2. Sorry to hear this , unfortunately I am not able to offer any advice, but i hope yoj can get back on the road asap.

3. The only silver lining is I've got my z1000 and rsv4....it's the cost that's going to hurt....I'm guessing 1.5 to 2k to repair...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. As my wife says..it's only money and you can't take it with you when you pop yer clogs.....yeh right...still my money! Finvers crossed for you it all pans out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Fingers crossed that it's something small and inexpensive. :worried:

6. I hate to say it but its something ive done....but as i say...had everything laid out...

7. Doubtful....quite sure it's seized...

8. Man, that’s a shitter! Been there, done that, own fault stuff is the worst!

No pearls of wisdom I’m afraid, but if you are capable of stripping the motor then at least you can save a bit by building it

9. That’s shit luck how were the cases prep’d prior to painting? First thing that springs to mind, is if they were blasted, then the oil gallery in the clutch casing could have had medium in it. That pumps straight into the crank to feed the big ends....

10. It was blasted but I did say to the lad that it needed to go through the parts washer first....he wasn't present when i collected....started to strip it last night....the only thing i can personally see and i cant quite remember is in the clutch slave theres a small oilway next to the push rod....was there a small rubber seal?...not sure but there's not one anywhere in the garage...

11. While not what i wanted to be doing ive kinda got a bit of movement...not in the engine....spoke to Rich at Louigi (race season has started and he's snowed under) then spoke to Ducati John (what a thoroughly nice bloke) first and foremost if it needs a crank he thinks he's got one (which was nice.) The plan is, to drop the engine and get up to his place on a weekday for 8am (thats gonna be fun!) from Bristol. He will then pull it apart while im there and then make plans after that. While its apart ill be getting the head's and cylinders recoated also....maybe the crankcases (not sure yet....) - rough guide on price...1k if im lucky 2.5k if im not but then nothing has punched through anything else so shouldnt be going up that far...famous last words...

12. My gut feeling is shot has either blocked the oil feed to the big ends or it's got through and worn them. Hopefully John will sort it. It'll be in good hands ;)

13. Well, assuming its the bearings at each end of the crank that would be a strip, pop the seized bearings and reassemble or am i looking at it too simplistically? Im trying to put a positive spin on it...ie if its apart i can get other stuff done also... :)

14. The bearings you've in mind are the mains. I think they'd be ok. The big ends are the plain bearings on the crank/conrod. Either way, it'd be a strip down.

15. Yep...if we're the big end bearings can the crank be stripped and reconditioned...?

Checked today...New crank...1300 quid.

16. @nelly question....which cranks fit my 1100evo. I'm guessing there must be other models that fit it...

17. That's the spirit. After all, what's done is done. Not much you can do about it now. :upyeah:

18. Just draining the oil now.....so far it looks to be shrapnel free...

19. I can check tomorrow for ya. Reconditioning depends on how much damage there is. I’d wait til you have a diagnosis off John first.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information