1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard 796 Issues

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Julian, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Hi
    I have a (new to me)59 plate 796 Hypermotard on 14000 miles, it's got one or two niggles that I need to sort out, I think they may all be tied into one another ?

The engine management light appears if I ride in the upper rev range before I've covered 15 - 20 miles, I have to stop turn the engine off for 90 - 120 secs then the light will disappear.

Whilst out on a ride recently the oil light came on after 30 - 40 miles of spirited riding, when I accelerated, weighting the back wheel, the light would go out, when applying the front brake the light would come on, I thought maybe I was low on oil, crept slowly home and found the oil to be just under max.

Topped it up anyway, went out for a ride the next day, within 10 miles the oil light was on and this time stayed on permanently, I turned tail and rode slowly home, this evening I've changed the oil and filter using 15w 50 as recommended in the Ducati manual, I then took it out for a quick ride, the light came on within a couple of minutes and stayed on, so I crept slowly home again.

I've had her idling in the garage for 3 or 4 minutes from cold, it seems to be as soon as the engine warms the oil light comes on.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of dropping the oil and cleaning the frame filter inside the rhs engine casing to see if that makes a difference ?

I also noticed this evening there is a slight covering of oil/leak coming from the nuts on top of the lhs of the head

I would appreciate your help and advice on what could be causing the oil light/engine management lights to come on, what size allen key I need to buy for the engine casing/frame filter and where to get the correct size crush washers for the sump plug without going through a dealer and paying extortionate prices
    thank you..

#1 Julian, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  2. am i being a dumbass or is this the most unhelpfull forum on the internet ?

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 2
  3. When the oil pressure light flashed up on my 748 the root cause was the oil pressure sensor. The sensor was the same part used on a vauxhall corsa, couple of quid from the motor factors.
    I'm afraid I cant see any of the pictures you have posted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I wouldn't say so....you've got a 796 so the hypermotard not being the most popular model and in turn the 796 less so your going to get less responses? Having said that (I've got an 1100 evo sp) and I can't think of any reason for the behaviour so, my first port of call would be to plug a laptop into it and see what it tells you. Totally unrelated but I had a problem with my rsv4 where it would randomly cut out... Lots of opinion on the forum but plugging a laptop in revealed the problem instantly.... 20 quid for a tps sensor.

That would be my first option...

• Like Like x 1
  5. My guess is that it's either your oil pressure sensor like Andy said or the oil pressure bypass could be sticking (as that could cause temporarily to high or too low when it sticks). I think you can remove the bypass valve for inspection pretty easily, you can see it in this parts diagram: http://shop.oemducati.com/en/produc...-3/hypermotard-796_2/filters-and-oil-pump-133 .

I'd personally give changing the sensor a go first as it's the easiest and pretty cheap too. https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/alternative-oil-pressure-sensor.12011/

#5 Neeps, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. +1 for the oil sensor.

Engine light issue - when it comes on, does it affect anything, misfire etc?
    Has the bike got aftermarket servo eliminators?

7. :joy:
    Maybe people had not seen your post, maybe the people that had didn't know the answer...I'd say this forum is far from unhelpful, a lot of people are enthusiasts not mechanics, maybe stick your bike in a shop get it fixed :upyeah:

8. very helpful thank you chaps :upyeah:

9. maybe stick your bike in a shop get it fixed ... LOL you obviously haven't seen the labour rates of my local Ducati dealer :eek::eek::eek:

10. Maybe you should buy a Honda instead

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  11. Neeps your a star, thorough clean of the by pass valve, sludge filter and new sensor seems to have done the trick,thank you very much :upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Nice to hear a good result.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I can imagine fella lol

14. The engine management light comes on my 796 every now and again,it doesnt seem to make a diffrance so i ignore it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information