1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard 950 Evap Canister Delete

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Pard, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Has anyone removed the charcoal evap canister on the 950?

How do you reach it?

It is tucked up on the left side near the tank.

Capture.PNG

2. Mission accomplished, sort of.

I removed the electronic purge valve on the right side of the bike which controls the flow of fuel vapors from the evap canister.

I cut the hose upstream of the sensor and plugged it with a screw.

Now the throttle body ports from the evap system are sealed.

The canister itself cannot be removed without removing the entire airbox or slicing up the actual canister. I decided to leave it where it is and cut all the hoses leading into and out of it. It is along for the ride but has nothing going in or out of it now. Will remove it someday.

The vent/evap hose from the tank (right side) is 1/4 inch ID so I ordered some additional thin walled (stock is heavy and thick walled) rubber tubing which I will connect with a Y junction to the overflow hose (left side of the tank) and run out the bottom of the bike.

Final piece of the job is to attach the smartmoto purge valve eliminator plug to avoid any error codes.

3. And its gone...

gone.jpg

4. I did exactly this a couple of months back and fitted the SmartMoto eliminator but have been staring at the canister itself wondering how the hell to get it out or more importantly is the small weight saving worth the time involved in removing the airbox etc to get to it... ?

5. Happy new year!

Cut a hole in the canister, vacuumed out the contents (charcoal grains), and disected it into small enough pieces to fit through the frame.

It is a job.

And, there will be gasoline in that thing so have rags handy and don't smoke!

6. Yeah, it was driving me nuts to see the canister along for the ride, so I performed surgical resection of the mass.

7. I am inclined to think that if you do a custom fuel map or flash the ecu, it is important to disconnect the purge valve and block off the throttle body ports from the evap system.

Since there is no longer any feedback from the disabled narrowband O2 sensors telling the purge valve when to open, I would think it would mess up the tune.

A custom tune after the evap system is removed probably is the best way to go.

This is an interesting thread and relevant:

https://hyperstrada.com/threads/adventures-in-hypermotard-tuning.3971/

#8 Pard, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  8. That’s pretty much what I expected, I’ll get on and do that next week :upyeah:

Last time I cleaned the air filter out I thought long and hard about removing the airbox to remove the canister and just thought I’d see the rest of the day slip away doing so.

Agreed about removal of the evap valve before a custom tune, that was the reason I ditched mine. I’m sure most decent tuners are able to disable the valve with software if needed, mine might well have been able to, but I didn’t ask as my preference was to remove it all together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. On my to do list...

10. Looking back at my notes it saved 401 grams as well if that’s of interest :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. FWIW, I emailed Giuseppe to ask him if he recommends bypassing the secondary air system on the Hyper when using his airbox mod and T800 map.

His answer:

"Keep the secondary air system"

I suppose if I go down the dyno tune route instead of the T800 map, I will revisit removal.

12. Good video about SAS/PAIR system effects.

13. So I removed my evap canister this evening, thanks Pard for the inspiration, taking my time it took me just under an hour to get it out with a drill and then tin snips, around 20 minutes of that was hoovering up all the charcoal I got everywhere and removing/tidying a couple of hoses. I think that was probably a lot quicker than pulling and refitting the airbox but also a lot more messy.

For anyone who’s interested that was another 386 grams off the bike plus a bit of charcoal that went awol so could easily be rounded up to 400 :joy:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information