1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard + Clake One Light Clutch

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Jack Prior, Apr 15, 2019.

1. I have to preface this with saying that I live in London, and commuting to work is literally stop/start all the way, therefore having a light clutch makes a huge difference.

I recently came across this product and was wondering if anyone has an experience of fitting it and whether or not it would work with the new hypermotard 950:
    https://clakeuk.com/products/one-light-clutch

Looks like it works with any hydraulic system simply enough and looks like it could be incredibly cool to use but I have no experience atm; would be my first technical upgrade too.

2. Might be worth trying an aftermarket clutch slave.
    Much cheaper that the clake and looks much nicer

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Oberon would be my choice but tbf I’ve never tried out a Ducabike one.
    Let us know how you get on :upyeah:

4. Oberon & remove 2 springs, if slippage occurs add spacers under the caps, try 1mm then 2, I've run this fo 30k miles as I have a hand injury that means I can't squeeze much...

5. ooof that sounds next level - removing springs scares me a bit tbh, I literally just put down a deposit on the 2019 hypermotard today so the thought of taking apart the engine and making it leak and explode is kinda off putting

6. I can understand, lot easier on the old dry clutch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I don't have a 950, but I swapped out the original slave on my 1100 and fitted the Ducati Performance option. This reduced the effort considerably, allowing me to run stubby two-finger levers with ease. I imagine the same result would be the case on the 950 ;)
    However, that piece of kit you are considering looks damn trick! Given what it does and it's obvious quality, I don't see it as particularly expensive.

8. Ok sweet, I'm going to do the slave replacement and the clake one light clutch at the same time and hopefully re-use it through the ages as I go through different bikes to get that bit of value from it.

At checkout for the clake one light clutch it's asking for the type of clutch liquid, the options are:

- Dot 4 / 5.1
    - Mineral Oil

Where do i find out that kind of technical information before the bike is delivered to me in a month? Kind of wanted to have the parts ready to go.

9. The Hypermotard uses DOT brake fluid.

Parts manual:

https://downloads.ctfassets.net/oifk..._EN_-_MY19.pdf

Owners manual:

https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/service-maintenance/owner-manuals

If you are going the Clake route, consider the Clake two, it gives you rear brake left hand control as well as a one finger clutch.

https://www.clake.com.au/clake-two-dual-standard-control/

10. Awesome, thanks for the links @Pard.

I could easily see how I would fit the clake one with my basic mechanics knowledge as all I'm doing is attaching the already existing hydraulic clutch cable that's right there to the replacement clutch lever....

I watched the clake two video and I'm unsure. The whole concept of having the rear brake actuated with your left hand seems cool but is it going to be fun and useful to use on road riding? I think technically it's going to be a lot more complicated to put it together as I'm going to need to start taking apart the rear brake and running up a cable through the bike to the lever, there doesn't seem to be any of this bit shown on the clake two installation video unless I missed that bit.

11. Indeed, the Clake two is a big job to install and much more complicated than just doing the clutch.

I may go the Clake two route after experimenting with left hand rear brake options. It is useful on the road if you like to use the rear brake to help with controlling turn radius while leaned over.

I made this video of a simple mechanical left hand rear brake setup I am experimenting with.

12. Sweet video, I pussed out and went for the clake one light clutch - I was worried about how my insurance company would look at a brake lever modification like that. It's already super expensive for me due to bike theft here in london.

I'll make a video of me fitting the clake one light and the ducabike slave clutch when it all arrives in a months time for anyone else who is tempted to try this.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Good on you, please do as it helps others.

14. Bike arrived yesterday, on first glance it looks like the clake one light clutch is too big to fit inside the OEM handguards.

Im still going to fit it but i will have to twist the handguards to be lower than the clutch lever for now as the clutch lever has a large reservoir on it that sticks out.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The hydraulic clutch on my 950 is one of the lightest of the bikes I’ve owned, are you going to get a few rides on it before fitting the Clake so you have a comparison?

16. The hypermotard's OEM clutch It's far from the lightest clutch on the market - Triumph and kawasaki take that prize, unfortunately for me I do an intense amount of inner city riding and it's all stop and start so for me this is a big deal.

Fitted the clake one light clutch today successfully, but it was really hard tbh and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they really know what they are doing. Additionally, it's too big to fit inside the OEM handguards so they now need replacing along with the turn signals and probably the mirrors which is a lot of effort, but goddamn that clutch is light. There is some witchcraft in there for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nice well done! Have you had a chance to ride it? Does it still maintain some feel?

18. Yeah rode it home no problem, however we were close to giving up fitting it...

An air bubble took about 4 hours to get out and the nipple on the clutch slave seemed to leak air into the system so we had to replace it with a bolt.

Once the system is closed it does seem amazing to be fair. You can set exactly how much pull you want with a knob on the side (rotates up to 50 times for fine tuning) and you can set the lever to any position you want to fit your hand size.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information