1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard Engine Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bugzsco, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Hello, I currently have a hypermotard 821 sp. I bought the bike just over ago from a dealer in Aberdeen. The bike was running amazing for the first 6 months until it started cutting out. I use it for commuting back and forward to work so I never thought nothing of it until the day it didn’t start at my house.

I took it to my father who is car mechanic and a bike fanatic, we serviced the bike - oil change, filters, spark plugs. Bike still wouldn’t start and the engine light came up on the dash. We played about for it a couple of nights and decided to check the fuel as it sounded like it wasn’t getting any. We checked the pump on the bike and didn’t really know what we were looking for so I cleaned and put it back in. I flicked the ignition on and off and couldn’t hear it priming. I kept flicking it on and off and eventually herd it prime, and boom it started. No engine light on. I deciddd to take it for a spin and 2 mins round my block it cut out. I did the same maybe 20 flicks if ignition until I herd it prime it started. Another further ride round my block it didn’t cut out so I decided to drive it home (10 miles) didn’t cut out. I booked it into my local dealer where I bought bike from and the journey to the dealer it cut out in the first 5 mins of the journey. Kept flicking the ignition till primed again and it never missed a beat until I stopped at the dealer. It’s been at the dealer for one week and they’re saying now they can’t read the code nor diagnose the problem as they don’t have a Ducati computer to read the code and they’re now telling me I have to go to Ducati Glasgow (I live outside Aberdeen)

I’ve checked other forums and no one else seems to be having the same problem as me. If anyone could help me or point me in the right direction I would gladly appreciate it. Last resort is to trailer it down to Glasgow and spend a fortune on it.

Thanks

2. +1 Fuel pump relay. It is under the seat at the RH side below the ECU. There are 2 relays, the injection relay which controls the fuel pump, coils and injectors ad the main relay which does everything else. The injection relay should be the rearmost one.

3. as above a faulty relay.. or bad wiring to the relay or off the switch / immobiliser (if it cuts fuel pump and ignition as on cars) - but definately start with the cheap end.. the relay..

4. Cheers guys, Appreciate the fast responses, ill purchase the relays tonight and keep you posted

Thank you.

#5 Bugzsco, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. I would start by looking at it - seeing if there is a number you can match up - but TBH - you can probably link it out for a trial... normally 4 contacts on a relay (can not speak to this one) a low power circuit +/- and a high power switch +in + out... if its that simple link the + in and + out with a short piece of wire and 2 spades to the connector... also looking at relay you may be able to see if it works..

Then give Ducati a ring and ask price and availability... some stuff their price is good... others ... not so much... have not been able to figure out their pricing strategy..

6. It’s funny you should say that I was going to put new o2 sensors in it just because of the sc exhausted,maybe fried them, I called Ducati and ask for price for 2 they are £250 each!

7. Okay, quick update I manage to get relays and success! The bike starts every time. I turn they key and hear the fuel pump arming every time. I haven’t had time to take it for a spin, I’ll do it tomorrow.

Errors is still appearing on the dash though. I scrolled through the menu and still says engine. Any ideas on why the errors would still be appearing?

8. May be as simple as taking it in to get it cleared now youve solved the problem...had an engine warning light on my 1100 and when it went into cjs for mapping he cleared it then...

9. I’ll need to phone Ducati Glasgow to see if they could clear it for it me, never had any experience with Ducati dealerships is it something they can do it quickly? As I would need to drive 100+miles just to get the code wiped

10. Yep..i think its a 2 second job...well it was for mine....does the dash log a code?

11. I think Melcodiag should talk to the Hyper 821. I have a copy but you would need the licence for your bike. I do have the cables and I'm only 50 miles from you.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information