1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard For Pillion

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by frazzle, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been answered before but I'm venturing into no mans land here and need some honest advice..

Essentially I already have 2 sports bikes and am now looking for something cheapish, fun and HAS to be comfy for a pillion (as that's the main reason I'm buying it as the Mrs wants to come out with me more and a) can't on the 1098R and b) Likes the GSXR but only for up to an hour as she likes to be able to walk afterwards!!

She likes the look of the Multi but personally I think it's massive and I don't like it (and not cheap).... I do like the look of the hypermotards.. I've ridden a hyperstrada as a courtesy bike and it was not bad... so my question is, is the Hypermotard a comfy bike for a pillion?? is there a comfort seat option??

I was looking at the slightly older monsters too with the wider rear seats... any good??

I do intend to get down to MR and get her to sit on a few and possibly have a test ride but it's hard to tell over an hour period as to how comfy it might be for a day out..

Many thanks in advance...

Phil

• Like Like x 1
  2. Have you considered the scrambler? Cheap(ish) and the seat is something of envy to a sportsbike rider like myself

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I've ridden the scrambler. Epic fun solo but not so much pillion. The first bike that popped into my head was the hyperstrada though. Thought about another brand (Aprilia dorso, KTM 950/990 SM/SMR)?

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have an older monster, an s2r1000 and the Mrs found the back of that perfectly comfortable . She is a fairly lithe and slender size 8 though. We have just got her a ridiculously cheap second hand 821 monster and while we have not tried it yet the back seat and grab rails combo look good to me. The 696/796/1100 were not so great imo but the hypers do look good. Only one way to find out though of course but you know that already.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah I have considered Aprilia and KTM..... I need to get her out to sit on a few and try some test rides I guess.... only problem is I won't be buying new and so used bikes are harder to get rides on...

What is the dofference between the Hyperstrada and the Hypermotard.... same engine, chassis no?? are the ergos different?

6. Ive actually been on the back of my own hyper for a long distance-ish. We went to pick up a bike about 100 miles away or so and my mate is 6'6" so it was only natual for him to ride. Im 5'9" so went on the back....mines an old 1100 evo (at the time) and i found it very comfortable, the nicest thing being that yer arse kind of wedges into the rear grab rail in a comfortable way. Because of that i could relax as ive got no way of sliding off the rear of the bike under hard acceleration. Just thought id mention it.

Oh and i had the race seat on there also...a bit firmer so i dont know if that helped or not...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Maybe worth considering one of the original 1000/1100 multistradas as they are pretty cheap, very comfortable and great to ride too. You have the added bonus with these of knowing that it will never get stolen as I believe the range won the "Shoot The Designer" award 3 years running 2007-2009 inclusive.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I always said they were hideous but some people on here will kill you for saying that :joy:. Has the Citroen Cactus won that award yet because it bloody well should.

If you're ever up my way @frazzle , you're more than welcome to a go on my KTM. I've had two (SMR and now SMT). Same engine and frame, just the T has bigger tank and more nose fairing. Epic bikes and quite widely renowned as awesome. The Aprilia Dorso is just one of those bikes you see go past and think... I want a go.

Oddly enough, the missus thinks the KTM is comfier than the multi. I wouldn't have thought so myself but that's what her arse thinks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. If you can stomach the looks there is the "sargeant seat" while they look like something out of a Sherlock Holmes film people who do have them swear by them...so maybe have 2 seats (if you get a hyper for example) and switch over the seats when she's not on it...

• Like Like x 1
  11. I believe they're pretty much identical bikes, though the 'motard is likely to have a few more suspension settings to tweak, but I can certainly recommend the 'strada - my wife rides pillion on it and often falls asleep; says it's not only comfortable, but the grab handles give her so much security.

Edit: Just had a nose out of interest, there do seem to be a few more changes - though nothing major (imo at least) - slightly higher bars, less front suspension travel to reduce dive, and the obvious change to include a center stand and multi terrain tyres.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Get her to do her CBT and learn to ride herself.

• Like Like x 1
  13. My son regularly rides the pillion on my hyper 821 and says it is very comfortable, although he says the 1200 multi I had before was better.

• Like Like x 1
  14. @frazzle how did you get on? I'm having the same thought.

15. Hey Creamy! Well the quick answer is I didn't make the leap in the end! Mrs got herself all knocked up and all her brand new riding kit is still in the loft some years having been used about 4 times... Once the rug rats are older I'll revisit this... Hopefully prices would have gone back to being a bit more sensible by then!! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. I'm 6'2" and when I took a pillion on my Hyper they might have been comfortable but I felt pushed up against the fuel tank. Solution - I removed the pillion pegs.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information