1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard - Future Classics?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Turbo, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Hi folks. I've recently purchased an 1100 SP and have already spent a small fortune on upgrading parts. My question is: is it likely that this model might become a future classic? I've looked up the stats and there's only around 60 left on UK roads now, so Ducati never sold many on our shores. I'm only planning on fitting parts that ultimately can be reverted back to standard, so I guess it's a case of no harm done really. What are your thoughts on the Hyper range possibly becoming collectible in the future? Would irreversible mods such as paints jobs ultimately devalue the bike? Cheers, Matt

2. Well that's me fucked then!
    Capture3.PNG

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Seriously I'd like to think so but not with mine but, I've no plans to sell mine but if I were in the market for a classic I'd still be looking for something with aftermarket parts...why would I want to ride round with a stock pipe....but that's me....

4. Cool bike Mr Sofa

5. Tbh...and this is me speaking here.....there's stuff in mine that I find fucking criminal....I've always said it before....coatings and fixings....you've probably come across my current build thread...thats how coatings should be done....I'd say mines going to be in a much better state to "go the distance" than any stocker...

6. Hi, first time I saw Xaus on one I wanted one, I waited untill 2013 as I didnt think it would make an everyday all year round bike, 5 years down the line, 3 winters & 48K it has done me proud, a keeper for sure, (not sure it would sell with the mileage), makes s brilliant commuter with its slim high & agile stance, & when the traffic thins out the fun begins, you can use all the power without getting into too much trouble..
    Best bike Ive had in 39 biking years, relatively easy to maintain yourself, unique looks, wheelies buetifully.
    Get a proper custom remap & it becomes a real Jeckel & Hyde... That for me ia a classic indeed.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 48k! Wow! Have you had to do any major engine work in that time?

8. SC projects exhaust sounds ace, think that same version looks the dogs b?ll , it don’t stick out too far so proper trims the back end. Miss my 1100S, miss the sound too. Nice bike you have

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Welcome and enjoy!

Not an 1100, but Iove my 821 Absolutely great in traffic. May never be a classic, who knows, but would not part with it.

10. I do think the Hypers will become more sought after soon, they've gone out of vogue a little at the moment. Seems Ducati has no plans to update the 939, so they will be getting rarer.
    One of the reasons I got my SP, wasn't sure I'd have a chance to get a fairly new one for much longer!

Yeah it's worrying how many bikes seem to be built to just be 'good enough.' I don't think they are designed with any real intention of them lasting for decades. Ducati are one of the worst I've come across (shit plastic fastners, vulnerable wiring etc...) but most get babied, so it's manageable.

I've been buying newer bikes and only keeping them a few years but at some point I want a keeper and I know it will require a lot of work, along the lines of all the effort you've put into your Hyper Sofa.

Ideally I'd love a Sport Classic as a forever bike but it's more likely to be a Scrambler of some fashion that I can then make my own.

11. I've not been on https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/ before, pretty addictive. All the models of Hyper are very rare, only 109 939 SP's!

For comparison, the 939 Supersport has been around for one year and there are 350 of them...

12. Has @Exige got one? If not, then no :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. If by 'classic' you mean cherished and collected I would say not as they have no pedigree and are not typical of the marque. If you mean 'Will they go up in value?' I would say probably, as they are scarce and quite sought after (within a certain niche), but most owners would tend to use them not simply polish them as we do with the more obvious 'classics' so condition as they age is going to play an important factor.
    BTW, be aware of the inaccuracy of that how many site. None of my bikes are listed on it as I'm one of those 'polishing' kind of owners and there are many more like me on here.

14. I don't have one :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. There ya go :)

16. Well, for me, the main reason for tackling the fixings and coatings the way i do is, so, that i dont have to spend as much (anywhere near as much!) effort to keep the thing looking good. I applied this a few years back to my KTM 525. It still looks like it was built last month. Looks pristine and the effort ive needed to keep it looking that way is very very minimal....the engine coating lived up to its name a few months back. I left at the local bike shop for the day for the MOT. Picked it up at the end of the day. Got to the bottom of the road and thought, what the fuck is that smell? (thinking it could be some cleaning product id used on the engine/pipe but no. A bird had shat right across the engine, going from the side engine case right the way up the barrel....when i got home it was well and truly baked on....

Soaked it in WD40 for about 20 mins and then just wiped it off. Nothing left. Thats my point...

17. Cool. Some great replies here. I've got a bunch of DP accessories to go on the bike, one of them being a set of DP rearsets that I've not seen on another bike before. Really nice bit of kit. Unfortunately I'm going to have to swap out my original footrests with another bike to score the DP kit. A little bit of me is nagging away to keep the original bits, but surely DP being official Ducati parts is pretty much the same as original?..... hmmmmnnnn

18. Yeah - for me id flog the stockers....i mean, say for example, on my RSV4factory....ive got a Nitron Race Pro shock on the rear....why would i want to put the OEM ohlins back on...? its got a full akra system....why on this earth would i put the stock system back on with that huge ugly tail pipe....sorry, if a bikes been upgraded tastefully with good aftermarket parts (ohlins, akra, arrow, etc etc) id say its worth more like that...

Just to add ive got rearsets on it too....i have to as the qs wont work without rearsets. The QS is integrated onto the newer ones but disabled on the older one (mine) but can be activated, so i did!!

#18 comfysofa, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  19. That's kinda what I'm thinking. Good quality, tasteful parts isn't really going to be detrimental. That's the plan anyway ;)

20. Yep - once ive finished being financially raped by the hyper i may upgrade the Nitron on the RSV4 to a TTX....plan is on the hyper to upgrade the rear ohlins to a top end Mupo rear shock...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information