1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard Top Box Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by CamBJones, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Hi there, first post... thinking of getting a second hand hypermotard 2011 (read going to). I'm swapping out my current 2005 FZ6.

I use it mainly for commuting and I drop my wife off to work on the way.. so I need storage for her gear after I drop her off. I currently have a 46L (I think) Yamaha Top Box (which I think is just a rebranded Givi)

Anyway I'm wondering what my options are for a Hypermotard. I know this is probably something that most people with Hypermotards would reject strongly... but it is a must for me..

Seems like the options are a Hepco and Becker black Rear Topbox Rack for Ducati Hypermotard-650786 01 01 | Motorbikes & Parts

Then I guess I can get any Givi top box with plat to go on that.

Any other suggestions?

#1 CamBJones, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. The oem Ducati "rack" that was available for the Hyper is rubbish. You'll get away with carrying a lock on it or your waterproofs, but anything else will just crack the welds in the same place as the design is all wrong. My mate went through three before he gave up and got a custom made one off ebay - turns out this guy had the same problems so built his own!

3. Shoulder bag....less hassle plus you can rest it on the rear seat....

4. do the side panniers have the same built issues?

5. Thanks Antonye... so what you are saying is that if I got the Hepco and Becker black Rear Topbox Rack and installed it and then the Givi plat and top box it would crack the Hyper frame?

6. Stick with the Yamaha.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Wow now this thread got interesting. Drinky please elaborate. Now you have me second questioning my decision. But the Hyper gets such good reviews!!

I've rented the 1100 but really didn't like it. But the 803 is so much more drivable and 'easy'..

orrrr did you just mean stick with the Yamaha Top Box... Which I think is just a rebranded Givi anyway.

#7 CamBJones, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  8. No - Ducati made an additional rack as an accessory that bolts to the back of the bike.
    Some people mistake this for a rack that you can mount something substantial to, like a top-box, but it's really not up to the job and the rack itself breaks very easily.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've got no experience with the new 821 so hopefully the racks, especially aftermarket ones, are much better and are up to the job.

9. Ah interesting. That does look flimsy.

This one from Hepco and Becker... looks more stable structurally.

[​IMG]

10. I've got the Ducati rack and have had no problems carrying a couple of kilos of stuff but any more than say 5kg and you'd raise the risk of a stress fracture owing to the rear of the rack being unsupported

11. Oh yes, that looks miles better.

12. If you don't absolutely have to have a rigid box setup I recommend trying a Kriega bag. I have the 30 liter and 10 liter bags and they cover pretty much any need I've had. The 10 liter for typical commuting to work, 30 liter if I have to bring more stuff than usual, and you can stack the two together which I've done when going on overnights.

I looked into the top box option for a while, but the apparent weakness of the DP rack and the hideous looking option by some other manufacturers led me to Kriega, although, that's the first time I've seen the Hepco Becker, that doesn't look as bad as some others...

13. I just realized the Kriega option probably wouldn't work for you, at least the way I have it mounted because it doesn't accommodate a passenger...

14. Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I think I'll go the Hepco Becker option and see how I go with a GIVI case. Cheers all and I'll post pics when I pick up the bike in March.

15. Just a word of warning on Hepco and Becker. I had one on my last bike. The mount rusted seriously bad, and the top (aluminium with steel fittings) wasnt great either. The chrome on the top box handles all blistered, screws and bolts corroded. Box when new looked like great quality, but I wouldn't get one again.

16. Thanks Meath, it has arrived already and does look top German quality so I'll have to keep an eye on it now for rust as you warn. I just got the mounting bracket from H&B and then the top box from Givi.

#17 CamBJones, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  17. Cover it in acf50 regularly and you'll be ok

• Like Like x 1
  18. Great thanks for the tip! Not heard of acf50 so will google it now.

19. ACF is superb - cover my bike in it after a wash - just make sure you avoid tyres and brakes or you'll be up s**t creek without a paddle!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information