1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Hypothesis: Michelin Road 5 Causing Weave At Speed?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Fire3500, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Was chatting with my Ducati tech yesterday and he mentioned that the only other case of someone experiencing a high speed weave on a DVT base was also on R5’s.

Anyone else had this, or gone from R5’s to something else and noticed a change in the willingness of their Multi to wag its head?

2. Now that’s interesting. I’ll need some new rubber on the Multi soon. It would certainly rule them out for me. I’ve been wondering what to get fitted.

3. Incidentally, at the London bike show in Feb. I asked the top man on the Michelin stand what he recommended for the Multi.

My brief was, I won’t be doing off road and I avoid rain as much as possible. European tours.

His recommendation wasn’t the 5’s but Michelin Power RS front, Power RS plus rear.

That surprised me as I thought they’d be more of a sports bike tyre.

4. Interesting, I’ve only ever replaced with scorpions and tracked them as well a couple of times and never had a problem (this being I’m not a seasoned track rider) although at my BSB school instruction day they instructor couldn’t keep up on his weedy 600 track bike .....on the straits anyway:)

5. I found the bike weaved at high speed worse with the scorpion trails that were originally on it but it is better with the road 5,s.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. I had two sets of road 5s this year, never found that a problem. No weaving same as continental road attacks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I just did over 3k miles with Road 5. No weave.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. On my second DVT now and have occasional had high speed front end weeve/wobble when pushing hard. No different with Scorpions, PR4s, or the latest R5. The weeve/wobble is character of the bike (at high speed) and this has been eliminated with the 1260.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Did you take his advice? if so how well do they cope with wet conditions?

10. Interesting what the Michelin chap said at the bike show.
    Power Rs very very good tyre if you ride hard all the time as they work well on mid group track day or fast road work.
    Suited to the Multi that’s a very interesting question

When I had a 1200s 2010, had three sets of different brands and the bike reacted in the same way on all of them, wagging head and generally moving around.

My 1260s solid as a rock, with or without luggage passenger!

Currently using Roadtec 01, good all round choice, probably don’t ride as fast as I did in 2010 as I’m an old kit now

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sports tyres suits multi really well, it’s just if you intend to ride all weather.

Had 2 pairs of pr5’s, and didn’t get any issue on my DVT. I think the issue is more chassis issue: too much weight on rear so at speed the wind gets in to the wide bars plus the effect of aero makes the front lighter.

If anyone gets weave, would be worth adding max preload and doing the same road and speed, see if it’s still there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. I have Bridgestone T31 on my bike and at 120 mph it weaves, I have the Skyhook suspension and it does it in any mode, no idea how to change the rear preload but I did wind in the front adjuster (supposedly) for my weight.

If anybody knows suspension let me know, blooming annoying when trying to catch my mates.

13. In your modes, just change to two helmets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I just put on a new set of Road 5's having changed from shagged-out Road 5's.
    The weekend prior to changing, I had the Mut flat out, in Germany obviously :kissing:, and had little movement, bordering on none.
    So after putting the new set on, and back in Germany, I was checking how the bike responded.
    I put the bike in rider only, softer on front, harder on rear, pre-load upped to 19, from 9.
    The pre-load was intentionally a big increase. I noted the bike felt light on it's feet, so to speak, eminently more chuck-able but a bit out-of-the-saddle feel over bumps, which I was expecting. I then went on the same section of autobahn and found that the bike wanted to weave, not hugely, but noticeably compared to the previously used R5's.
    I backed the pre-load down to 16 and this assisted.
    My next trial will be with the standard mirrors removed to ascertain if they have a noticeable/negligible effect.
    Not that I ever go flat out all the time as I am more than happy with the other great attributes the 5's have.

I'll let you know what I find.

ps; I'm 15 stone in kit and never carry passengers but do load the panniers er, fully.!

• Like Like x 1
  15. I don't own a DVT, so this is observational plus mates experience.

The pre DVT doesn't weave, regardless of tyres, panniers, with or without pillion. Sure it will shake its head from time to time if you say clip a cats eye when accelerating, but this isn't the same.

The DVT will weave when cruising at high speeds, and it is worse with panniers when solo. Take the panniers off or stick a pillion on and it is far less.
    My mates bikes would noticeably move around on PR4s when solo with panniers.
    I'm not sure other tyres they have tried, but it certainly pre-dates the PR5s.

Removing the hand guards and mirrors will probably have some effect, but imo its the air flow over the rest of the bike too.

I do also wonder just how much tyre pressure plays a part. Michelins are quite a soft carcase.

16. DVT shakes itself to pieces when on fast, bumpy, uphill tarmac like much of oulton park. The twinspark didn’t.

I’m sure someone told me they lengthened the wheelsbase on the 1260? To calm the front down.

Brett also mentioned while we were away that he had his dealer nip up the headraces an that stopped it altogether

17. your right, the longer swinging arm was reported to be a solution for this.

Tighten it up enough will probably stop the bars shaking or turning altogether :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. High speed weave is much more likely to be caused by the front end going light due to the lift generated by the speed (than the tyres). Pretty sure the tyre manufacturers know what they're doing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. As it happened yesterday at Thruxton I was paired with another Multi rider on a 2012 single spark 1200 Pikes Peak Multi with me on a 1260S both bikes on Michelin Road 5 Tyres

What was noticeable was the difference in characteristics on the 1200PP and the 1260, in the tight corners like the complex and the chicanes (with two extra coned chicanes to keep the speeds down on the back of the circuit) the 1200PP was much better, more flickable in tighter turns. With the 1260 I had to work harder to get the bike to turn for the apexes, on the faster sweeping corners the 1260 was rock solid under power and faster whilst the 1200PP got a little twitchy and was not so stable. Braking wise about the same but the 1260 does have more grunt out of the corners, the front goes light and I need a another rear tyre. The result at Thruxton was that we were evenly matched on a full lap and we both had a great day exploring what the Multi can really do if you try, however you cant get away from a well ridden S1000RR!

I have had all four generations of the Multi and really like the 1260 on the road, however the longer swing arm and the rake change makes it not so flickable at speed in tighter corners but very stable on long fast corners. Overall I'll stick with the 1260 for road riding and touring.

• Like Like x 4
  20. I have been trying to do that for two years to try it but alas I have failed every time, even after reading the manual numerous times.

I used to be an IT manager, must have lost my mojo.

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information