1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyside Ducati. No Rides Of Used Bikes Allowed?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by MrToots, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Hello all,

First post, prior lurker.

Can you help, I have always bought quite cheap used bike prviately and have always ridden them before buying. Hyside have a bike I'd like to buy, its more money than I would usually spend, but they absolutely won't allow a ride.

Is this normal with Ducati dealers/main dealers with their used stock or is this just Hyside?

Thanks for any views!

Toots.

2. No idea, but welcome Dave :)

3. Welcome Toots, it's certainly not all Ducati dealers.

4. Thanks chaps, seems really odd. They have some expensive used bikes.....would someone really by a £18k bike without riding it? The one I am after is about £7k.....but even so. Even at £1k I'd want a ride!

If it rode fine I'd buy but the fact I can't ride it means I probably wont even go look.....

5. I bought mine without even seeing it, shipped it over from NI. Great service from the guys at Millsport. Wouldn't bother me so much from a reputable main dealer.....different story if I was buying off gumtree

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm not sure what you think you will find in a forum that will change hysides mind. I've never had a dealer let me test ride unless I have known that dealer really well. In here yeah, quite a few would have shelled out over 10k for a bike they have never test ridden. Most of my private buys have never allowed a test ride either unless I have left the full cash, my licence and proof of insurance too. Test rides on bikes are difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I bought 2 New Bikes from Hyside (15 DVT and Scrambler) - great to deal with - never test rode either or a demo - but I live a long way from them.

Previous to that my last 6 new bikes were all bought without test rides... or demo rides..

Maybe I am odd... (many have said that)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I think I have only ever ridden one used bike I bought. Ridden a few I didn't ;)

And, other than without a helmet around my close with some collateral like their missus ;) I wouldn't let anyone test ride a bike I was selling. :)

9. The way to do it is to test ride the bikes when new when they are new demos to see if you like them or not. i have ridden loads of new ones but never used ones from dealers.
    I have recently taken a new tuono 1100 on a test ride for when they come down to a reasonable used price.

10. I wouldn't let anyone test ride my toaster inside the M25.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. OK, chaps, thanks. I was mainly wondering if this was normal, and it sounds like it is. Just seems strange to me as unless I have ridden how can I be sure?

Sounds like the answer is I can't be sure and just have top go with it.

Always bought bikes privately to date and have always been able to ride them (even if I have left the full amount in cash).

Maybe I am just being overly cautious/suspicious.......

12. I have bought a couple of secondhand Dukes from official dealers relatively recently, well this century anyway. Both times I was offered a test ride without even asking. You are the customer, if you dont like the service take your money elsewhere.
    I have also bought without testing but that was my choice not theirs.

13. Have only ever had excellent service from Hyside. I have family that know the guys there very well and have purchased many new bikes from them. Like it's been mentioned above, dealers have no issue to those they know and trust.

I know there were a few issues of people test riding bikes and not coming back. Maybe they're not as well insured for used bike test rides.

14. I'd fully expect a test ride from a dealer but knowing if anything goes wrong it's covered under warranty.

I wouldn't expect a test ride from a private seller knowing if anything goes wrong I'm knackered

15. Never got a test ride from either of my local main dealers - of used bikes, only of current demonstrators. If it was a car garage they'd use trade plates to cover the tax issue, but whether that works for bikes! I've had demonstrator rides, but that may not be a true reflection of what a previous model goes like.

16. Hi, maybe you is well dodgy, welcome anyhoo :) :upyeah:

17. Never been refused a test ride on a used bike locally in Plymouth or north cornwall. Some dealers ask for a bank card,anyway welcome.

18. Welcome mate, did you arrive for test ride on a scooter with 2 mates?;)

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information