1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 I Bought A Track Bike

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by RC1, Aug 24, 2021.

1. It wasnt me it was someone else that did it and he shall remain nameless

Ive been itching to try my hand at track stuff but not wanting to bin one of my road bikes ive had half an eye on track bikes

Within 24 hours of being shown a link a deposit was paid and the bike delivered to me by the owner. First time i had ever bought a car or bike sight unseen.

The base bike is an 06 749 dark with 11k miles and 4 previous keepers. Frame and wheels powder coated red.

Just some highlights
    - later black swingarm
    - mono subframe
    - ohlins rear shock and linkage
    - mct revalved front forks
    - accossato remote adjustable brake lever and mc
    - accossato clutch lever and mc
    - harris fairing subframe
    - ricambi weise farings
    - shido lithium ion battery
    - samco hoses
    - sigma 1098 slipper
    - termi silencer
    - renthal sprockets
    - galfer front discs and rotors
    - power commander

Theres a bunch of other stuff i have forgotten and many original bits to revert to standard

It was due to be campaigned in the thundersports gb series but the owner put the bike on back burner due to family stuff so its been sat idle for 3 years

Its now in my garage with bits hanging off as i start to deal with the easy stuff before getting it sent to a pro for a quick once over and belt service etc

The plan is to get it fit and ready for next season doing as much spannering and fettling myself but leaving engine and suspension to the professionals

Not sure if this is newsworthy but happy to put up some more details and stuff as the project unfolds and also to get thoughts and ideas on set up etc

• Like Like x 10
  2. That's the one that was on ebay recently I reckon.

3. Yep

• Like Like x 1
  4. Photos?????

5. I have lavished cash on my track bikes, hoping it would make a difference to lap times.

Turns out it was me that needed the help......:confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. yes its all the gear and no idea here but im stupid and talentless so things can only get better i hope

• Like Like x 1
  7. its looking rather sad but will get some arty close ups done

• Like Like x 3
  8. It just needs a little love mate. Be ok that bike (but you should have bought a Jap 600).

9. Nice one fella, they really are lovely things on track ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Funny you should say that….

Err, me too :D

11. so quick update for anyone that is interested...

with lots of help and encouragement along the way from those that shall remain nameless but the chief protagonist and all round good egg being @Expat Jack and @RickyX as technical guru, the bike is well on its way to being used as intended despite stalling several times when before heading out for the sighting laps

after a bit of work from baines racing it managed to get around donnington a few weeks back with yours truly at helm crapping it and dealing with (and fixing) leaking coolant and a very trixy stomach issue... with lots of words of wisdom from @cookster, @bradders et al i suppressed the urge to vom in my lid and got my paid for instruction session in..

bike had a significant flat spot around 4-6k and there was a very unnerving wobble at the front wheel when braking... other than that, it felt ok albeit pretty slow on the straights but fast enough for me the newbie

the bike is now with dave wood racing getting remapped and to get the front wheel thing sorted before hitting donnington again later this month

theres a few things on my shopping list

- engine/clutch covers (gb racing?)
    - crash protection like bungs?
    - rearsets/pegs
    - more instruction (i was nervous and had my feet out duck style all the time)
    - suspension set-up (track side)
    - oberon clutch slave
    - potentially thinking about some snazzy paint scheme

theres a lot of track craft i need to get on top of before i think about a bigger bike but its clear that by today's standards the 749 is slow but thats fine for me

• Like Like x 6
  12. You got out there and you did it. That takes a lot of effort and courage and no surprise you want more.

Track riding is an addiction, especially when you start shaving time off your lap times.

Just bear in mind, you will learn a lot more about how to go fast on a slow old bike than you will splurging on 100s of new horse power.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2

13. Always keen to hear about people learning to ride on track, its a whole new world once you get into it. I am still old and slow but track time is my motivation to get out of bed.

Personally, I would say the best things to do in order if you want to improve would be to change your shopping list round a bit:

Essential:
    - suspension set-up (track side)
    - more instruction (i was nervous and had my feet out duck style all the time)
    + Good tyres - even for novice pace its about confidence and used rubber doesnt inspire it!
    + Regular oil changes - biggest/most imporant thing on track bike

Then add the protection:
    - engine/clutch covers (gb racing?)
    - crash protection like bungs?

Then worry about the rest later - no point spending money on upgrades/bling till the basics are covered
    - rearsets/pegs
    - oberon clutch slave
    - potentially thinking about some snazzy paint scheme

• Like Like x 1
  14. Good to meet you matey, and glad you stuck with it and enjoyed the day in the end!
    1. Protection (it’s cheap!)
    2. Suspension (it’s incredible how it makes faster easier)
    3. Tuition

15. Good on you mate. I like your route.

modern stuff is so serious!

keep us posted :upyeah:

16. probably the one thing that amazed me the most was the sense of kinsmanship and camaraderie in the garage... i was feeling a bit crappy (like vomit crappy and just not good) but i got back in the saddle after a few words from the posse @Expat Jack, @cookster, @bradders and a few others that i dont think are on this forum

• Like Like x 2

17. likewise mate and you rock a beanie better than i do! we need to get out in the pork at some point this summer?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. No pics!? People will moan...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. you're absolutely right and this echos what many have said.. i just want some bling though!

20. the one the pro photographer took of me is quite embarrassing... the bike is vertical at the apex

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information