1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 I Give Up! Hello Ktm My Dear Old Friend.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by JH_1986, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Had an engine knocking last ride. Did an oil and filter change this morning and noise appeared to have gone. Went for a blast to check it all out and about 5 miles in the engine starts knocking badly and sounded awful. Thought fuck it, nursed it home at 30mph. This is 13-14000 miles since it last had a full engine rebuild and new cylinder heads.

Fully out of warranty. Going to have to fix it, then sell it. Anyone want a 2010 Touring S that will have just had a big service and engine rebuild? I'm sure it'll be good for another 10000 miles [emoji15]

Will go back to a 990 KTM SMT so that I can enjoy riding again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dear me ..... I can totally understand your frustration. Good luck whatever you do ...

3. Just stripped it back to standard. My Ducati Corse mug smashed at work Thursday. They can't get fuck all right can they!

• Like Like x 1
  4. I can see a Murphy's law meme coming up ...

Is it to the dealer yet? Was the breakdown exactly as the one you had before?

5. Not had a chance to even call dealer yet as closed. Out of warranty so will probably go to an independent. I don't particularly feel like taking it back to the very dealer who did the engine rebuild. I seriously think that, as they did it under warranty, they probably didn't do the best of jobs.

Last time I needed the rebuild, it was surging and then next time out just wouldn't start, would die instantly and with a bang. This time, the surging was only in 5th/6th and it starts but rumbles badly and sounds awful.

6. You gave it your best shot, no one will blame for the decision, hope a 990 does the business for you, it won't be the same not seeing your smiling mug around here though.

7. Maybe it still can be fixed. I wouldn't go to the same one either. I really wish you an easy fix even if it's a longshot.

8. I can still sneak in for the chat like @Gimlet and his KTM's. I had a 990 SMR previously and the thing was bulletproof. The complaints on those bikes mostly stem from under greased steering head bearings. I can live with that much better than needing an engine rebuild every 14k

• Like Like x 1
  9. Best of luck with your next purchase. It does sound like you have brought the worst friday afternoon bike!

10. I'm walking round the house with a face like thunder at the mo. Feel like riding it through the window of the dealer and leaving it there. Finance owing though so need to get it fixed and sell it privately.

11. Feel for you mate. Chin up.

12. Bad luck JH , I've had loads of Ktms and fair few Ducatis ( on 3rd multi now ) I've had very little issues with any of the bikes really .
    I'm a great believer in the Friday afternoon car / bike like said back there ... it's like one man has no trouble at all .....and the next man has nothing but trouble with X or X just luck of the draw sadly . If an engine fails repeatedly I would just be looking for a full used engine , I often think when an engine has failed and all the metal debris flying round gets at all the other bearings and machined surfaces and does damage that sees something else off later on .
    Bite the bullet and move on mate , feel for ya pal ..... it's just nuts and bolts ,plenty worse things that can befall us in life

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. No idea what this is going to actually cost to repair. I imagine a used engine plus labour will be a few thousand?

If it works out to be any more than £1k, I'll probably have to keep it for a little while longer once repaired.

14. It's already done that [emoji23]

Trying to work out the mechanics of it all now. Finance owing and obviously very difficult to sell a bike with finance on it so will have to sort out the finance first (credit card?), then sell it and pay off the credit card, then get another bike.

Breaking it doesn't really give the instant cash needed to work with the cash flow.

15. ;)

#16 Hyperextended, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  16. I expect the finance company will charge you 2% for a payment via CC. But you can get loads of 0% cards for 24months. Cheapest loans about 3.4% so CC makes sense if you can clear it in 2 years.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Well, having heard a YouTube vid of a multi with a bearing gone, it sounds similar but no whine on mine.

It'll probably end up being a temporary family loan to clear the finance. Will be paid straight back once sold and no worries about interest. Can't wait for it to be gone. Bonus is, shopping for your next bike is always fun.

• Like Like x 1
  18. That stinks mate, i never trust an advert that says rebuilt engine :-( .

Unless you show me a workshop that's like an operating theatre with an engineer in a white coat with a list of degrees behind him lol. The reality in the uk is more likely to involve a man with a fag on reading out of a manual :-( .

Simple maths, cost of getting the engine replaced and fitted or selling as is, i would guess you will retrieve more money back and less hassle selling the bike in its current state.

Be honest about the finance in the 1st instance of your advert and its not such a big issue but it would probably be worth paying the finance off with the credit card 1st, the bike will sell very quick as it is for the right price. I wish you well .

19. Bad Luck JH. Don't blame you one bit for going back to an SMT. I love mine dearly. Its like a faithful friend and its a bloody good laugh to ride.
    Its a long way but its worth getting your bike over to Louigi Moto if you can. Rich and Chris will sort it out. They are very busy though as always.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information