1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Fixed - I Have A Engine Problem? 1.7 Liter In 9100km/5600mi

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Riko, Nov 11, 2017.

1. title says it all...:confused:

Could it also be due to spark plugs that need replacing?

Kinda worried since that seems a lot of oil consumption....

2. It's not massive consumption,but I agree it doesn't sou d right.
    Friend of mines dvt was using a lot of oil (between 1/2 and 1 litre per 1k miles) and he told me the barrels and pistons have just been replaced under warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  3. already mailed 3 dealers in the neighboorhood, awaiting their findings...

4. Sounds normal to me ?

5. 2>3 pints is quite high. I've certainly topped up my bike several times till its latest service at 18,022miles. But not by that much in that range of miles. Have you got a weeping leak?

6. What year is it?
    Have you been using it on the motorway, or held a constant high speed for long periods of time like 40/100 miles?

7. That is only 0.2L per 1000km.
    In my opinion nothing to worry about as long as you fill it up every 2000km.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I've also had new pistons and barrels on my pp 16plate

9. Question is if it has burnt / used the oil over the whole 5600 miles or used an excessive amount over a shorter period like on the motorway, and not used any on twisties etc.

10. It is as madproff I was talking about on your post on FB. I don’t think that’s excessive but mine doesn’t need any oil between annual services

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've alwasy found it strange that one answers a question with a question?

On a serious note, after some research I found this post:
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/oil-consumption.35439/page-6

Is there any truth in that?
    Newer models supposedly consume less or no oil than the pre-modified airbox models?

Another thing, DVT facebook groups and their owners:
    one states, the consumption is noticeable higher when using constant throttle, such as highways. Not sure if he added, high revs as well.
    Another one says he noticed higher oil consumption with typical stop and go riding such as city riding.

And one says, 1L over 5300km, is not the end of the world, nothing to worry about, perfectly acceptable for this bike.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I mailed 3 official dealers and I await their answer.

12. I've alwasy found it strange that one answers a question with a question?

On a serious note, after some research I found this post:
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/oil-consumption.35439/page-6

Is there any truth in that?
    Newer models supposedly consume less or no oil than the pre-modified airbox models?

Another thing, DVT facebook groups and their owners:
    one states, the consumption is noticeable higher when using constant throttle, such as highways. Not sure if he added, high revs as well.
    Another one says he noticed higher oil consumption with typical stop and go riding such as city riding.

And one says, 1L over 5300km, is not the end of the world, nothing to worry about, perfectly acceptable for this bike.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I mailed 3 official dealers and I await their answer.

nothing that can be seen on the floor or smelled

a 2015 model, lots of highway riding :)
    High speed
    Agressive style, I'd say (very subjective of course)
    And yeah, I'd also say most of the time its spend on the motorway...

13. unfortunatelly I don't do a lot of twisties to be honest, so most of the times it is highways, and at very illegal speeds to be honest...

14. That’s a lot more than mine. I’ve done 11k on a 2015 and bet I’ve not even put 1/4 litre in that time. When I read about issues on other bikes it kinda makes me loathe to change mine. Never had a single issue with it. I’d hate to change it and end up with a troublesome machine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Same here, new pistons and barrels.
    On a 7000 km trip to Spain, my bike used 3l of oil, average 0.43l/1000km. After I got new pistons and barrels it has gone down to 0.1l/1000km and I think that is normal and acceptable.

Not sure what Ducati think is acceptable, but talk to your dealer and they will probably need to measure the consumption and see if it is within the acceptable limit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Quentin who posted on that other thread linked to above is my mate who has had his barrels replaced.

We had a bunch of multi on a trip to south of France in June.
    All of the dvt bikes used oil and needed checking regularly (most though not all at a similar rare to Quentins)
    The previous dvt bikes used no oil for the entire trip.

If they have changed barrels and pistons, but not heads, it has to be poorly honed bores or Ill fitting rings.
    It would be interesting to measure the crankcase pressure, see how much blow-by there is, and how heavy the bike breaths.

• Like Like x 1
  17. So go to dealer, explain problem aim it more that you use oil at constant cruising speeds, they might drain and refill with exact amount, or top it to a level and photograph, and take milage, off you pop and basically my advice head to the nearest motorway, drive at a constant high speed for 50 odd miles, 80 Kms what ever, stop, let oil settle 15 mins or so, check oil and see where it is. if like mine, was at low level you have used about 250 ml in 50 odd miles and that is not acceptable.
    Go straight back to dealer let them look and measure, the chances are they will replace pistons rings and like mine sleeves.

Do not do like 500 miles on twisties etc. where it will use hardly any oil.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sorry you didn’t like my answer twinkle. For ref mines done 17.5 k miles, and as well as the services has drunk an additional 5 litres, it’s not great but I think it is a common issue and im out of warranty so stuffed anyway.
    Not that I ever flagged it as an issue, as it runs fine.
    I won’t be buying another one, so lesson learnt.

19. @Hyperextended I would go to your dealer and have a chat, it is a known problem and Ducati are pretty fair at good will, and it does solve the problem it seems. you have nothing to lose.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sounds good mate, but after having to threaten them with legal proceedings to get a faulty radiator changed, it’s an avenue I’m not wasting anymore of my life on.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information