1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Love 2 Strokes!!

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by andy huggett, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Well last weekend i became the owner of chassis No192 of the first run of the Suzuki GT750 J (the first of the kettles) I found it on the bay of evil with a piss poor write up, saying it was a barn find, as they all do. Did a bit of checking with the kettle owners club, and as it turns out it was a genuine survivor bike with 11k miles on it (hmmm wasnt sure about that though) but anyway, took a look at it, checked it out and then bid on it.....bugger me i own a 1972 GT750 J in blue and white. So she is in the workshop and getting stripped to the frame, i pulled the head and checked the bores, guess what? Its a genuine 11K bike, not a score or any wear on the bores at all, genuine pistons of a standard size, the heads never been off before (a bastard to get off if never modified) The original cats piss antifreeze lol.
    Lost to do for the restoration, but nothing is missing (other than the grab rail) so im a happy camper now.
    I loved these things back in the day, i was 10 when i saw the first bike and the advert with a young Barry Sheene sat on it and saying its a great bike...i was sold the dream (or nightmare back then) and always wanted one, restored they go for stupid money, im gonna restore and ride :) ringggg tinnggg tinngggg, gotta find me a set of AllSpeed spannies now yay :D

• Like Like x 6
  2. Fantastic - I had a GT380 for a couple of years and it ran perfectly (twas a bit on the heavy side tho') :upyeah:

3. Truly handle like a 3 legged donkey on crack, but just love em, i cant help it :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. item287775-0.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. Brilliant!

Looks like Stingray!

6. Nice bike :astonished: Seems it had been stored in a dry barn :upyeah:
    How about the crank bearings?

7. Funnily enough just been reading a write-up on a GT550 in MSL. A mate used to have a 380 when I was 15. I've got a hankering for an old Jap stroker as well now. Always fancied a T500. I can smell it now..

8. I always liked the kettle but never had one. I did have a KH250 though, not in the same league I know. I remember the perverse joy in laying down a long trail of smoke when the engine was cold. Ah, it's the simple things.

9. Oh indeed it is :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah so it would seem, got to split the casings later when the frame is away for blasting and powdercoat, but it genuinely looks pretty good

11. Very dry barn by the look of that chrome. Looks like its in excellent condition. Not temped to keep it unrestored cosmetically?

12. Had one in the early 70s PX it for a new GS 750 always missed the GT just added a TC200 Invader to the ever growing collection

• Like Like x 1
  13. At £4k, that's a cheap bike that. Well done and enjoy the restore :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I wish I had kept my kettles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I'm a stroker fan also....but mine are all at the "odd" end of the scale.....MZ TS250 Supa 5, BSA B175 Bantam.....and a 68 Velosolex.

To add to this "utilitarian" theme I'm hankering after a T/GT500 - Kettles, 380s/550s, RDs and Kwack triples are great but a bit too racy for the collection......although I wouldn't say no to any of them!

• Like Like x 1
  16. A mate of mine had a kettle back in the day - really surprised it was virtually as fast as my Suzuki GS1000, I followed him up the M1 one cold night & my legs were kept warm by his 2-smoke exhaust fumes

17. Got a ride on the back of one of these back in the 70's while at the TT, frightened the shite out of me, it weaved from one kerb to the other at about 90mph.
    But i forgive it as I have always loved two stroke's, currently have 1926 Scott, 1959 BSA, 1965 James, 1965 Bultaco, 1975 Fizzy and 1992 RD350 YPVS.

Long live Castrol R

• Like Like x 2
  18. But 4 stroke exhaust gases are hotter than 2 strokes.... :thinkingface:

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Great list dude! Scott would be sublime....and the Bultaco - roadster or trials?

20. Mercurio Roadster

Do Not Sell My Personal Information