1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 I Think I Want A 999

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Olly snow, May 5, 2022.

1. Evening all,

I’m lucky enough to have restored my 916 and on taking back to show the lovely chap who sold it to me once completed I now Also own 2 996’s

I love both of the bikes and the third I hope to build into a track bike.

However I can’t stop looking at 999’s! Always felt Intreeged by them and the more I look the more I want one! Would love to hear an opinion on them and maybe what to look out for when searching for one!
    Cheers,

Olly

F43ADDF3-F7D7-42F2-9B07-40C84DD27E55.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. I moved onto a 999R after c50,000 miles on my 996, the extra 40 horses are noticeable, it still needs to be muscled around but its super stable mid corner, its very suspension set up sensitive, has proven to be bullet proof bar coils ....

A non R 999 isn't that much of a step up in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have both in base mode. 999 is far nicer to ride.
    Only issues I'm aware of is a relay in a silly place behind the battery box that can be relocated and the front coil facing road crud. Some have ECU issue's judging by this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just got back from Aragon on this "big bore" 999. I ride other older and younger Ducatis on track. The 999 stands out for great torque, very configurable frame/suspension/tyres and, in the absence of any electronics, a real pleasure to ride.

This vid might give you an impression, until the last lap, we are having a tour round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Of course you want one, who wouldn't?
    Not only do they look like nothing else Ducati made, but they have a proper swingarm.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Controversial......o_O

7. The Ducati Forum Friday night Merlot equivalent of some mum on Facebook telling others about parenting.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I'd make my comment anytime, oh, and not being a drinker I never post anything whilst chemically influenced.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. I had a cooking version last of the 999 (new (2006?) for a couple of years and yes it was a lot more comfortable (relatively) than my 916 (4 year gap between the two) I rode it to Nice & back on a weeks touring hol (from the Toon). it never gave me a stirring in the loins that the 916 did. As it was the last plain 999 version the engine allegedly had the same hp/torque as the S version though it never felt like much extra to me, probably as it was on the original long gearing. I think they sanitised it a little too much perhaps so I ended up punting it after 2 years. PS no issues with it other than it didn't give me the wow feeling when I used it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. It’s okay mate, we’ve all been there, you can get help for that

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. ??

12. I have a base model MY03 53 plate Bip in red, currently in mono form, which may be for sale. Its tidy and clean with 10k miles on it. Much easier to ride than the 748/916/998, deceptively quick but not as intense, involving or focused. The 999 certainly grows on you and is a very underrated bike IMHO. It suits distances much more and if you want to just go for an easy ride its the bike I would use. However between a 999 and a 748/916/998 I would keep the latter, owning and riding one gets into the soul more.

13. get one, loved mine

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information