1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiot Lights For Late Bevelheads... Source?

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by MisterB, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Hi all,

One of the idiot lights of my 81 MHR has failed, they are easy enough to replace, but I cant find anywhere that sells replacements. Does anyone know where they can be bought? Or are they as rare as hens teeth these days. in which case has anyone tried to repair one?

Thanks, Lee

MHRPart6e 001.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. If you have a set like in the picture, even not working they are priceless.
    Repair them. drop me an email and i will send you some pictures of what to do

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Derek
    when going to all that trouble fit LED's or you will be changing them again in the future.

DSC_8856.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’m in the same boat so if you would share your tips there’s gonna be multiple happy / grateful folk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Personally, I'd fit LEDs. As I said at the bottom of my post above but the warning light for the indicators will cause problems since it is wired across the right and left indicator outputs. A bulb will work because when one side is lit the warning light earths through the bulbs of the other side but doesn't allow enough current to light them up but since LEDs are polarity sensitive a single LED will only light up for one direction only depending on how it has been wired.
    As long as bulbs are being used for the indicators themselves 2 LEDs wired in parallel but with opposite polarity would do the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks to Paddy for his quick email reply, I hopefully can swap the bulbs to LED, he has also solved a problem I had with my missing ignition key.. turns out you can get replacements online as long as you know the lock number stamped into the ignition barrel. .. from here https://keysinthepost.com/

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. I have reconditioned several of these.

The bottom part of the block can be levered out (carefully), leaving the coloured lens part empty. My method was to take an old set of Xmas Tree lights and cut it up into bits, then fit a 12 volt miniature bulb into each holder, and crimp a little spade connector on to each wire. The holder was fixed into the rectangular coloured lens part with Araldite (other glues might do).

The whole job was quite fiddly, but it worked and cost very little. Besides, since these are now unobtainable what alternative is there?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Here is another option, Key2Code in Didcot, Oxfordshire:

https://www.key2code.co.uk/store/c58/Ducati_motorcycle_keys_cut_to_code.html#/

I have found them helpful and efficient.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Hi Derek, this may be a problem for a pantah with a single light but a Darmah has 2 lights for left and right ??

10. Good to know.
    Do you envisage any discolouration from the heat of the new bulbs?

11. I replaced the bulbs in the Pantah with new wire ended bulbs because I had them to hand. Incidentally, I sold the Pantah earlier this year. I found it too uncomfortable for my aging body and the heavy clutch gave my pains in my left hand I with which I have tendon problems.

12. Hope not. The bulbs produce no more heat than the originals anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I think the bulbs are rated at 0.5w so minimal heat (and light) :)

14. Does anyone have a spare green “Lights” one please? Doesn’t matter if it’s blown or whatever condition as long as not cracked.

cheers
    Niall

15. No idea, I just saw this thread and thought I have seen similar lights somewhere. I was searching for Lotus Esprit dash lights as I think that's where I saw them and then stumbled onto the reliant lights.

16. Good find. I’ve contacted the seller. Thanks!
    N

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well it’s true!

the Scimitar lights are the same size. I got a few on eBay for £3 each (working). Of course the text is wrong but that comes off easily. The next step is to find a way to put the correct text onto them. (Maybe not tipex) 4EF64560-3CC7-44B5-944D-DC4F3239C4A3.jpeg 04E9BB6E-FEF4-4272-BF6F-C79A26F4A168.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information