1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Idle Speed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ash34, Sep 7, 2017.

1. What's the idle speed supposed to be on a 1098R?

Mine seemed a bit too high at around 2K so I lowered it towards 1500 but I think it's now too low. I managed to stall the bike a couple of times at the weekend.

2. I dunno but the 1198cc series engines are 1550+/- 50

3. Idle speed is ECU controlled. How have you adjusted it? If the throttle stops have been moved, then the TPS calibration will be out. Only safe/proper way to adjust idle is in software by altering target idle..

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Well mine is an 1198 engine so this could be it.

5. I know, that's why I posted those figures

6. @nelly I'm guessing he probably adjusted the air bleeds

7. Eek! Yes I turned the throttle stop on the left side of the engine. Funnily enough I lined-up an old paint mark on there so suspected that somebody had increased it in the past to imitate the effect of a slipper clutch.

8. My old 1198 used to run oddly prior to CJS tune. It would die at lights and/or stall. When Chris tuned the bike, the problem evaporated.

9. Leave the paint marks lined up then ;) Are you checking idle using the bar graph or looking at it in the options menu? They do differ a little.
    Stalling was a problem on some bikes and a half turn out on the rear air screw helped a little.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I was using the bar graph which I now realise isn't too precise. Where is the rear air screw exactly? Will I find it from the left or the right side?

11. I found 2k was far too high (mine did that with an incorrect map). Mine is now 1500 ish, much better and better for the ears too!

12. right side. Shine a light up below the airbox. You'll see it as a brass screw

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Now that's interesting because I don't know exactly what map is on this bike.

14. I had a problem with stalling and the bike had a low tick over I gave it to Ducati Manchester due to me changing the ECU and a few other bits and 1.5 hours of labour later he adjusted the CO%, TPS and something else which made the beast tick over at 1500rpm and it has never stalled again (touch wood).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mine now ticks over at 1500 but does stall occasionally when I set off. Need to find that rear cylinder air screw.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information