1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm So Very Tedious.

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Nervy, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Hello,

After merely selling everything I own and everything my wife owns and all our furniture and our kidneys and one of the twins (the one that was doing less well at school- she knew the risks) and agreeing not to eat for the next 867 years, I've finally managed to buy a D16RR. Well, I've agreed to keep it clean until the bank repossesses it, anyway.

I picked it up at Christmas from a terrific chap and having spent the last three months staring at it grinning like an idiot, panicking about how I'm going to pay for it and only slightly faint from a lack of calorific intake, now it's time to get it out of the front room, get it serviced and ride it appallingly badly.

So, I was just looking at the tyres and despite the fact that the bike has only done 300 miles in the last three years (it's now at 7k) I note that the front tyre is from 2008 and the rear from 2011. They both feel quite waxy and hard, most likely from being stored in various front rooms throughout its life. So, ready for the tedious part? Ok. Here goes. Look, sorry. Ok? I did a search. I promise.

So... Erm. Do I need to replace the tyres? If so, what are my options? I have of course done a search but posts here or on the US equivalent aren't exactly plentiful.

I know there was a shortage of Bridgestone Battlax's at one point, but they appear to sell them on Blackcircles etc even though apparently they're a horrible handling tyre. So, am I stuck with them or is there a different choice of tyre that folks here use? The US owners appear to use Pirelli but no one states what kind etc and the last thread on the subject was 4 years ago so most of the owners are probably retired or living in space or whatever actual rich people do now.

Changing the rear wheel isn't an option, by the way. I'll only be able to keep this bike for a short while so I cannot afford to get even deeper into it. It'll be up for sale at the end of the summer, so my losses will be my cost of ownership and for this dream to work that cost has to stay below the 'eight hundred million cubic fuck-tonnes of stolen nazi gold' my wife predicts it will be.

So, I'd appreciate any advice you could give. My sincere apologies for the dullest post ever.

If it helps, once I've ridden it, I can promise to deliver the world's most gushy thread ever. Cagoules will be needed, and that's just for the verbs.

Thanks in advance,
    N.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  2. images or its not real.

3. Is that how that works? Oh. Ok.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Or were you after images of my wife? Because I have much less of those.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. @Dave should be able to help you :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. If it's the dream bike that has cost you more than it's worth in terms of family and food...put some new fakkin' tyres on it!
    Otherwise, your short lived ownership will be marred by a constant nag of "why are these tyres so shit" and "the D16RR, yeah it's a great bike but I only had it for a few months...dunno what it was like to use in anger as the tyres were appallingly bad.."

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Definately get some new tyres even if it just puts your mind at ease when you are riding the bike. I don't know what size they are but there is nothing wrong with Bridgestone S20's or S21's. I've been using them for the last few years and they've been excellent on the road. Lots of tyre choices out there so go with whatever you think will do the best job for your budget. Everyone has their own opinion depending on their experience with a brand/ type of tyre so it's really up to you...

• Like Like x 1
  8. I can't help with your tyre choice but I might be able to help with a possible swap of bikes at the end of the summer. Some money would have to come my way though.
    Bike looks great please upload loads of pics throughout the year for those of us who will never be able to own/enjoy a bike like this :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hello and welcome nervy nerdy

@Dave has ridden his like he stole it and can give you plenty of advice

No idea about tyres but always follow your instinct if things require changing
    ( not the wife ) :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you go into the search bar right at the top ^^^^^^
    Put in tyres
    Then underneath should have members name put in Dave and he has a thread there

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Hi @Nervy

I know that bike ... very striking :)

BT01's are the only option on the standard wheels I'm afraid. They are expensive and not very good - especially by modern standards - but you'll be OK in the dry (go easy in the wet - I've had them spin-up just going in a straight line!!).

If you buy replacement BT01's to stick on it (I would) they should come wrapped in a silver covering which would have protected them from the light since they were made ... which was probably years ago.

Enjoy!

12. Excellent. Thank you. Does he just know loads, or does he sell it too?

13. I agree that it's not worth risking. That's why I'm asking what tyres to get.

14. Wow, I didn't know that. Why can't you put decent tyres on the standard wheels?

15. Cos they're 16" IIRC :Bookworm:

16. Hi Dave! Thank you. I actually bought it from down near you, so hopefully that's where you know it from, rather than from Crimestoppers or something.

Thankfully, the bike will never be used when it's wet outside so that's not an issue, but it's annoying that we're stuck with one brand of tyres, especially given that they may be as old as the ones I'm taking off. Perhaps I'll look through the service history and see when the tyres were actually fitted, as that's likely a better indication of their 'age' if they're all preserved in the way you suggest.

I swear that I saw there were people using Pirrellis on the US site. Have you ever heard of that?

In any event, where do you buy yours?

Thanks again for your time, I appreciate it.

17. The rear is 16,though no one appears to really know why. I'm going to assume it's to be annoying.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Or just get a 999R rear wheel im sure JHP can make spacers and then the world is your rubbery oyster

Edit, Sorry just seen you bit about not getting another wheel

19. I'll get one if it makes better sense aren't fortunes and it means I can get better tyres. Anyone have any idea how much they are/ the spacers are? I'm guessing 'loads'. Does it need to be a 999R wheel specifically as opposed to an 999 wheel?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information