1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Teetering...

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by gliddofglood, Feb 27, 2019.

1. My 999 has been off the road for 3 years. It's supposed to be making a comeback this spring, but I'm not holding my breath. What if it doesn't? I think I've pretty much lost patience. So I am thinking of acquiring one of these two - pretty much the same price:

IMG_1732.JPG

Or perhaps (heresy of heresies):

IMG_1734.JPG

Thing is, when I tried an 848 and an F3 800 some years ago, back to back, I preferred the MV. Just for some context, the only non-Ducati I have had since 1985 was a Kawasaki KR250 two-stroke for a few months in 1986 in Australia, and even then my Pantah was still in the UK. I've had nothing but Ducatis for the last 34 years. Time for a change? A rekindling of biking enthusiasm? Maybe if I got the MV and the 999 made a return, then both would make some sense. But what would I do with a 959 and a 999? Is it worth splashing out CHF 17'000 or 19'000 to acquire a new bike in any case? I may be able to build a new music room with the same money and stay out of a prison cell.

Wotcha think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Keep the 999 and get a 70’s 2 Stroke :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. ...with a hinge in the middle and no brakes? I wasn't planning on an early death as such...

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Go old.... get a carby ss and pay me lots of money to build ya music room

• Like Like x 1
  5. Keep the 999 and get the new Daytona 765 when that arrives later this year o_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. You know the moment you get rid of your sleeping 999 you’ll regret it.
    Try a different make of 2 wheeler, you only live once so experiment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Keep the 999 and buy a “motorbike motorbike” as a daily everyday ride :)

8. buy something that will start of the button first time every time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. That is, in fact a serious option. I can’t see the point of selling the 999. I can’t sell if it doesn’t work and if it does I’ll want to keep it. It’s not worth anything now anyway. It’s got about 35k miles on it and is 13 years old.

Maybe the best thing is to get a Speed Twin. The reviews look good.

10. Yes- that’s definitely in the thinking!

11. Retro style bike or 950sp Hypermotard. Im tempted to trade in my GS for the SP. I cant see huge distances being required anymore to get to good roads as they are all on my doorstep now. No more ferry crossings and huge 1st days on Autoroutes/autobahns!
    A retro style bike must have good handling though, no bouncy wobbly stuff thanks o_O...SP should keep top end speeds down being a naked while still having the fun factor of wheelies out of every hairpin ;)

12. Prison is not a lifestyle choice in my opinion:confused:,first thing get the triple nine up and running and then start looking maybe at other rides if you wish.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Was impressed by the triumph thruxton when I test rode it, great looks, handles well and reliable, or so I was told by the salesman!
    Felt tiny though coming off a multi.

#13 Carr01, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  14. My mate has 2 x Harrison 6 pots on his 350LC with standard forks - the forks bend when he pulls the lever. :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 09.11.53.png

• Like Like x 1
  16. Get Roadtrip to build you a nice hybrid with twin disc front brake and single disc rear :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Concern with the MV would be available spares when it breaks, which I hear is part of the ownership “experience”.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. You’re probably not wrong. I get the impression that, used regularly and enthusiastically on track - which I won’t be doing- they drop valves.

19. EF55BBF3-1288-40B9-8889-2A8A2F59FF77.jpeg B191C63C-5D9A-41CA-91B5-7371B60EA218.jpeg 720362D2-06A0-41BB-BC5F-945FF20049BE.jpeg Pal had an f4, never tracked it and on a spirited run to Brighton the pistons and oil decorated part of the A23.

• WTF WTF x 1
  20. What is wrong with the 999? They seem fairly robust and easy to work on, could it be that difficult to repair?
    Personally I would keep it and buy a nice 2/h hyper motard, I couldn’t do with watching a new bike depreciate at a certain rate of knots.
    Are you in Valais? I’m just over the border in 74 if you need a hand with it!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information