1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info On Buying A First Ducati ?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Tinom, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Ok so first im new here. I have been wanting a bike ( and more specifically a ducati ) for a long time now. This year i plan on starting my lessons on getting a bike license. But i just wanted to know on whats what on ducatis. Can you buy a used ducati for lets say 3-4500gbp ? I like the 90s and early 2000s ducatis alot. Not to mention the new ones but still not ready for a brand new one. Anyways you can ignore the price range witch i put up there. I want to know how much do certain good ducatis cost second hand ? I know they are like alot of italian stuff and parts and maintenance isnt cheap ( i have two Alfa Romeos so i know ) but they are soo good so i guess with ducatis its the same.
    Im sorry if my question is stupid i just dont know alot about bikes.

2. Welcome Dave. Loads of people will be able to give you advice on used Ducs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Welcome Tinom, you’ll be able to pick one up at that price range no problem. First is decide which model you prefer the look of and would be happy riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hello and welcome dude.
    Ducatis are not as fragile as most would have you believe. I've owned 8 over a 20 year period and currently have 4. Never had to do much more than basic maintenance on any of em.
    All a ill older as well, ( as I'm not rich and prefer the mid 90's -mid 2k stuff) depending on what model you like, a duke can be picked up quite cheaply.
    For example I got a reasonably tidy 620 monster , 2 owners a 13k miles on it for £1000.00.
    748/9 bps can be bought for 2.5 -4k ish depending on history/miles and are great real world bikes ( if a lil tetchy around town).
    The 900ss carby of which I'm a big fan also can be picked up for the same money and is a fantastic semi old school duke .
    Good luck with ya mission dude and keep us posted!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Run, run away, everything italian automotive is the devils work

Welcome :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. If you find any reasonably priced R models give me a shout and I'll check them out for you....:innocent::eyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. The 1st thing you need to decide is do you want a sports bike as in, bum up head down race bike type. Or do you want a sit up straight bars type of bike. If its a sports bike then the guys on that side of the forum will give you all the info you need. If it's a sit up bike then you are looking at a monster or even a Multistrada. Both types are very good. Let us know which to get the best advice. From Steve in the uk.

8. All are good, the decision is diem to what you really like and what you will be using the bike for.

Don't forget about the Hypers :D

9. Well i like the 748/749/999 from around the 2000 year. They look cool. But i dont mind the monsters. They are cool too. So i guess i can check them out :D. But there is a slight problem im kinda short. Will that be a problem ? Im 1.63 cm tall, my legs are actually long for my size. :D

10. I'm 167 cm so not a great deal taller and have no probs on the 748/9.. well I do have to put the stand down on most bikes before I dismount but that's no prob

11. @chizel I do that anyway... getting older and being less limber means being a bit more careful :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I would say you are probably looking at a Monster for that money, otherwise the 748 series but you may end up with a basket case for that money. Main thing is some evidence of service history, doesn't have to be complete but I would look for evidence of some recent belt changes and if private I would be looking for an owner who can talk confidently about things like when the belt service is due and seems passionate about what he has as there is a good chance he/she will have taken more pride in ownership.

13. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

14. Yes.... but look down...
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Welcome Tinom - happy Ducati hunting :)

16. Welcome not too tall Tinom , don’t think you need to worry about leg length on bikes you fancy

17. Found a 749 from a other city in my country. Looks good. 3500 euros. Dont know how it is in reality but might go to see it.

18. Just for refrences. People say ducatis cost an arm an a leg to maintain. Dont exactly know what that means in bike talk. I mean how much does it really cost to maintain one. Like cam belt changes and oil changes ?

19. It is still possible to find a 2007 ST3 in nice condition for under £4,000. Real bargain and a lot of Ducati for your money.

20. Decide which model you want and do your homework on that. Happy hunting. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information