1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insane Insurance On The Multistrada 1260

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Rainman, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Just had my multibike policy renewal come through via RAC, for my DVT S Touring and my MT-10SP. It works out at around £600 for both bikes, taking into account I've got full no claims on the DVT and zero no claims on the Yam as it's always been a 2nd bike on a multibike policy. So it's roughly £300 for each bike.

As it happens, my renewal happens on the same day as I collect my 1260 so I contacted RAC and explained that I'm changing my 1200 DVT for the exact same spec 1260 and now they want £886.19 for the new bike. When I bought my current DVT brand new the insurance was roughly then as the renewal price I've just received, so I was pretty happy with that. The moment I mentioned the 1260 it's sky-rocketed by almost £600. WTF?

I've also tried MCE and they wanted just over £800 for both, which was preferable, but the excess is insane (£1500 per bike) and if the bike is stolen off my drive and not out of my garage then it's not covered. I've had this issue before where some insurers are just totally unbending, which I think is wrong. RAC stipulated that my bike was not covered for theft outside my house between 10pm and 6am, and has to be in my garage to be covered, which I think is completely fair and reasonable. If I wheel my bike outside of my garage to clean it and pop inside for a fresh bucket of water, I want it to be covered. Anything else just isn't good enough.

Any thoughts, advice or recommendations? I just can't get my head around the price difference when insuring the new model.

2. upload_2018-1-18_12-53-5.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. Try Ducati insurance

4. Last March I insured about £50K worth of Ducati and others on one policy with Brightside via bikesure.co.uk actual insurer is MarkerStudy
    Just after a big claim, full NCD (Protected), ROSPA, West London postcode, 50 years young.
    License was half full of speeding tokens.
    Social Domestic and pleasure, no commuting.
    Secure storage and Xena always used when parking, that said I rarely let them out of my sight.

£853.74
    I think it works on the basis of the most expensive bike, then so much per £10,000 after that.

I tried Ducati insurance (very friendly and personal service) and it's always been way too expensive, so since others recommend it may be it's my postcode. :innocent:
    Do they do multi-policies? This year they'll all be Dukes, so worth another punt.

#4 AirCon, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2018
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  5. I swapped my BMW R1200GSA for the Ducati Enduro Pro and looked to add this alongside my BMW K1600GT last year on my multi-bike policy. Adding the Enduro Pro looked like it was going to be a massive increase in the insurance renewal, I was shocked. I had to put a Tracker the bike to get any sense of reasonableness, so there is added cost right there. Insurance Premium Taxes have also increased across the board, so I think we can all get ready for more and more and more in terms of cost. In the end and after shopping around and making a few calls I went with Bikesure who are owned by Adrian Flux. The cost was 'reasonable' although it was more than I expected, but I have to say the service so far has been very good, but then it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. When I bought one of the first Tiger 800s the insurance was 3 times what I expected. In fact most insurers wouldn’t touch it, as it was its first year and they had no “risk profile”. Might be the same for the 1260. Next year could be a significant improvement (unless they all get nicked or spanked).

7. Top tips: GPS Tracker(certificated), top-class ground anchor & chain, garaged at home.

8. I've just put in a call to these guys, given them all the required info and they're going to call back. They said that the value of both these bikes means that an "off screen" quote is generally unlikely and would usually be referred direct to an underwriter. We'll see what they come up with.

I'm starting to think that it might be worth my while investing in a classic 80's bike on it's own policy, just to build some NCD on another policy in the coming years. I can insure a Suzuki RG500 for £150 with no NCD. It won't help me now but might pay dividends in the future.

9. Theft from within 500 metres of your property is extremely common these days and I doubt you'll find a policy without that (or similar) stipulated. No biggie - you were down the shops (or wherever) when it got nicked ;)

Give Cornmarket Insurance a call. A couple of years ago my multibike insurance went supersonic and one of the lads in my bike group put me onto them. The underwriter is exactly the same as my previous policy. Very helpful and friendly service.

Good luck!

10. I spoke to Ducati insurance for thirty plus minutes for a mulitibike insurance,,that was two months ago and still waiting for a price! i have my bikes on single policies and getting a much better price,just shop around!

11. Fit hot and cold taps outside, I did it years ago and loads of my mates said "why didn't I think of that!"

My Multi bike policy is based on my classic as the main bike with the modern (S1000XR) and others added. No excess and agreed value on the classic and £300 excess on the modern. Same restrictions about it being in a locked brick garage between 10pm and 6pm.

Dreading my renewal in May though as I had my first claim ever in over 40 years last year :eek:

12. Try c.i.a insurance and e bike insurance for multi bike insurance too.
    Basically just try them all and take the best quote . Classic bike insurance does not usually accrue no claims bonus .

13. Ducati were the cheapest for my multi bike policy, DVT and aN RT.

14. Another thought - why not give give the new kids on the block a whirl - Niall Mackenzie and Neil Hodgson (Mackenzie Hodgson Insurance) - they launched at the bike show last year and claim to be good for multi-bike policies. They are new in to the insurance game so I imagine they will be keen/competitive. Too late for me at the time, but I'll let them have a little looksee when I renew.

15. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and particularly El Toro. I've gone with DMC who came back very quickly with like-for-like quote for what I currently have (including garaging, etc) with very reasonable excesses. Saved me over £300 and since the 4 different insurers I got quotes from want almost double over the '15 DVT for a 1260 I figured I go for it. I could have got cheaper and it means my insurance has gone up a little over £200 overall for this year, but I've got exactly the cover I need, which is more important. The DMC cover via Aegis also includes a lot of extras which I wouldn't normally have taken, but it's added value.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Every time I look at multi vehicle policies they tend to be way more expensive. So I insure separately, although all through Hastings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Glad you got a deal. I found them to be incredibly helpful sorting me out last year.

Though in essence it's Principal Insurance, Ducati Manchester have set DMC Insurance up through them to enable them to sell more bikes, which is what it's all about for them really. And Principal are in the offices above Ducati Manchester making it quiet easy for them to deal with.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Interesting thread and very relevant for me right now. Single bike insurance is what I require, and my 2015 DVT last year with Motorcycle Direct was £232 with just legal as an extra. Insurance is due for renewal in February and they emailed today to say the same cover for this year will be £331! WTF! 43% increase for the same bike and conditions.
    I'll be on the phone to them and also to the links above. Thanks for the info.

19. MCE always appear cheaper on first glance but almost always will have a stupid excess, no pro rata refund should you sell or lose your bike and a customer services that would see me stuff razor blades down my japs eye before spending a single penny with them again.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Not a fan then Noob ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information