1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspection Of Crashed Ss 939 Bought On Ebay

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by brimo, Jan 17, 2021.

1. I bought a 939 Supersport 2018 (68 plate) on ebay couple days ago. I asked a question in ebay thread if anybody recognises the bike but without a luck.

First time I started thinking about buying a SS was in early months of 2020. That's when i actually discovered existence of that model. After couple rides (post-lockdown) on my m696 I realised I don't want to spend extra £5k for a newer bike. Until I saw that write-off...

So, I'm picking up the bike in a few days. It looks good based on pictures but any advice in terms of inspection or if someone sees something worrying based on pictures will be appreciated!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-S...estoration-Project-Bike-Damaged-/154276432391

2. I hope its as unscathed as it looks! Are these written off for scraped mudguards these days?

Goodluck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Its been down, or at least impacted on both sides. If you look at new plastics instead of patch up, and if the lock stops are snapped off the yokes etc,
    by the time everything marked is replaced, then there are several bikes on ebay that would be bordeline cheaper, plus they wont carry the Cat N for
    selling on later.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Next time I am buying a bike from a pic, I'm going to get your approval first. I would never have seen those faults!

5. Bikes are so easily written off these days

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. What do you mean?

I think a similar bike without those damages would be roughly around £7.5k. I'm planning to fix the plastics and wrap them. So, if there is nothing serious I would need to pay around £7.5k for a similar bike and I'm hoping to keep it for another couple years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. A set of fairing panels (in very good condition )for m696 you can buy for £200-300 but if you want them new from Ducati you would need to pay over £1k. So when you drop your bike in a garage, it's very easily written off because the assessment is based on new parts from Ducati.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I've bought a fair amount of parts for my Ducati, but I haven't bought any directly from them...

9. Oil filter, screws and wheel bearings I bought from them. Everything else is much cheaper on ebay. I managed to buy a set of brand new fairings for less than £200 (guy bought a bike and then decided he wanted a different colour :)). But that's how insurance companies asses the cost.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The lower yoke(triple clamp) casting has the lock stops. These stops are what prevents the bars turning too far in daily use and fouling on the bodywork etc. These can easily be broken off, even dropping at standstill. New steering head will be circa 300-350 quid.

Obviously its all relative fella. If you are doing an economic repair to make tidy and rideable, with used parts, then you will probably come out if this saving a good bit of money. In fairness the pics arent great resolution so its hard to gauge the levels of contact around the bike but to bring back to unmarked with new parts, I would think it is going to run you between 6.5 and 7 all in.

You can run parts prices here - https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/ducati-motorcycle/Supersport/2018

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Firstly thank you very much for all your comments. The reason I'm asking more questions is because I want to see what you see.
    So, I'm confused here. Do you see the steering head to be broken? Or is it just an assumptions related to the lock stops. In my M696 the lock stops are (I think) part of the frame rather than steering head.

We have another lockdown and I can't keep changing oils in all my vehicles every 2 months just to find a reason to go to garage :). So. it's kind of a project to keep myself entertained.
    Does your 6.5-7 mean new panels + steering head, or have i missed something?
    I've found on another s939 forum that the set of panels + the tank may cost almost £3k new, but given I will be changing the colour anyway that damage is almost costless to me.

12. The lock stops are 2 sections, the reinforced area on the frame at the headstock, and then there are some adjustable screws through little lugs on the
    lower yoke. These lugs are very easy to snap off. They may be fine, but as you are buying unseen, you may as well allow for it.

As I said, pic quality aint great but what I think I can see

Fairing top section and left side panels (2 section), front mudguard, front wheel nut (hopefully spindle ok), both mirrors have contact,
    front brake lever+right bar end (this bar and clamp may or may not be bent cracked), rear brake lever, rh rider footpeg (maybe whole hanger will have
    slight bend?), rh passenger footrest hanger and peg, front wheel, hopefully just coating damage but rim may need straightening.

Then you have what you cant gauge yet, lock stops, maybe fairing bracket as top section panel separated on lh side, maybe mounting lugs broke on headlight as fairing topsection not straight.........

A lot of this may buff up or not be a problem, but if you are struggling for parts and end up pressured into new, it could run to more than 7 and still
    be a Cat N. I cant see any tank damage. Was that something you know about or just something you are classing as covered?

I think if you are taking the plastics out of the replacement equation by wrapping, then provided the mounting lugs etc are all intact then this saving
    alone will make the bike a relatively economical repair. Good luck with it all and I hope there are no nasty problems hidden away.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Looks like one of the front brake disc’s has a small chip missing on the very edge.
    The main thing is as long as your happy with your purchase and prepared for some of the highs and lows
    That any repair / restoration always brings. So good luck with everything and getting it back on the road and having fun once you’ve finished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I bought a CAT N CBR1000RR from MCE about a year ago, cost me £4200, it needed a rear wheel & rear suspension, some fairings, mirror, exhaust & handlebar which all in came to about £1000. One in good condition was about £7000 so there was some saving but I done it more for a project and now use it as a track bike.

Don't worry about how much you'll save compared to a non damaged bike, enjoy the repair project & get good use out of the bike, generally you'll be quite happy with the buy as long as you use it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Doesn't matter what it costs if your enjoyment is in the rebuilding.
    So many people are obsessed with money and value. You will find any little problems as you go along.
    I stripped and rebuilt the Ducati 250 for the fun of doing it, I never counted the cost of parts nor the time that I put into it. It kept me occupied over a winter. Now it just sits in my garage doing nothing. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cant wait for the rebuild thread :D

17. You’ll be happy with it if you want a cheapy ride.

I’ve been to MCE and had a look at a cat N bike and it doesn’t take much to write one off.
    As said above they have to quote for all new parts and the plastics will easily come to that all important figure.

Whereas you can either get cheap parts or repair it. Ideal project bikes, you can spend as much or as little as you like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I agree, the real enjoyment for me came as the bike comes together. No point worrying too much about the costs, as once you've coughed up for the bike and the first stage of parts etc, you are in way too deep to stop anyway!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Personally I wouldn’t be put off by a cat n. I’ve seen bikes badly crashed up and never claimed and bolted back together and back on the road and sold as a mint one owner bike

20. The bike is at home. I picked it up in person and it looked to nice to come back empty-handed.
    Surprises so far:
    1) I think the bigger impact was on right side then left one. Perhaps it hit a car coming from left and then leaned on the right side (bent brake lever and handlebar end scratched more on RH)
    2) The lock stop on the lower yoke(steering base) is snapped. But only on left side.

The bike starts and rides!

So, I guess the first step will be to get rid of the green monster. Then, I will start a project thread.

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information