1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Instrument Panel/dashboard Backlight Ambient Light Sensor

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by luke1198, Nov 3, 2019.

1. The 1198/S workshop manual in section P.7 states:

<< The instrument panel is equipped with a sensor that detects the intensity of the ambient light. The instrument panel automatically switches its backlighting on or off according to the intensity of light detected. The instrument panel also has an internal temperature sensor which, if the temperature rises above 70 °C, switches off the backlighting to prevent possible damage. >>

However, the dashboard never switched off to me, and at night I find it so bright that I ended up covering it with a matt smoke thin film (search online for "Car Headlight Tint Film Taillight Tail Vinyl Wrap Fog Light Medium Dark Smoke").

Questions:
    1. Has anybody found out where this light sensor is?
    2. Did anybody observe the instrument panel backlight adjusting in a way which make sense (see poll above)?
    3. Is it supposed to turn off during a bright sunny day when there is no need of extra light anyway, or at night when you would be blinded by it?

Notice these other two threads, which seem however related to a low-voltage problem:

* https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/dash-and-head-light-loss.45964/
    * https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/dashboard-backlight.53878/

2. 2012 848 Evo.

I always thought mine didn’t work so well, particularly on bright days. The bike had a solid black windscreen when I bought it, I replaced it with a light smoke Puig and the light sensor started working more effectively for me.

Based on how mobile phones work, the brightness ought to go up when it’s bright outside. When it dark I’d expect it to be on its dimmest setting.

3. My Multi Enduro 1200 switches between day and night mode very nicely. Don't think it adjust the intensity of the lighting though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information