1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance And Declaring Modifications

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Carbon749, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Just curious how far you go when asked by the insurance company, "Has the bike been modified?"

OK, list the big bits, like carbon huggers, full exhaust system, slipper clutch etc etc but would you bother with every nut and bolt ie: replacement carbon sprocket cover, reservoir covers etc

If you ignore these small aesthetic items, which have no cost or performance benefits, are these enough to refuse an insurance claim?

Thoughts please.

2. If they ask the specific question what have you added or changed from standard. I.e. as it left the factory; then you have to declare it. As it’s a get out clause for most policies if you haven’t told them about it. Regardless if it adds value to the bike or not.
    White Dalton on this subject quoted a case of a guy with an enduro bike who claimed but was refused a payout as he’d changed the fork oil (no idea how they knew) he appealed to ombudsman but lost his case; as it was a change he’d made and didn’t tell insurers, as per his policy statement. Which he’d agreed to.
    It’s poo but insurance companies don’t like paying out.
    You can say I’ve changed my exhaust. Company go ok. Extra 20 notes to pay; happy days. BUT if they ask you specifically what make and is it stamped road legal then lying will immediately void your policy. If you subsequently make a claim and assessor sees undeclared zorst.

3. I was surprised how tolerant some underwriters can be with modifications. I declared an aftermarket exhaust for the Multistrada and the 70mm exhaust on the 1098R and it made little difference to the premium. I was told however, in the event of theft or write off, the payout would not cover either. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Declare, why bother giving the insurance crooks a clear non payout scenario if your bike is nicked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. No mods Gov - honest.

depends, if I crashed the bike it would probably be presented to the insurance estimators in a carrier bag.

Things like exhausts go missing in accidents, and most of the estimators don’t know the difference between a Desmo and a Desmond

6. I declared the aesthetic mods I’ve made to the V2 (decals ala Foggy, rear cowl and exhaust end cap) and the addition of a Termi system to the Scrambler 1100 Sport. It added £10 over and above last years premium.

I was happy with that :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Declare anything you know about but if the bike is secondhand as is the case with my bikes I always add that I have no idea what changes may have been carried out by previous keepers.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Some insurers can come to an arrangement that bolt on stuff will be replaced like for like. They usually want receipts and pics. It will also increase your premium.

9. And BTW if tyou declare your modifications, don't think they are covered !

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Now I know why I hate the annual renewal "merry go round" of madness.

Rather than a multibike policy, I looked at a laid up policy for the 749r. As part of a multibike policy the cost of the 749 is £190 with no excess via Be Moto / 44 teeth deal. As a laid up bike that can not go on the road, £270 with a £1,500 excess. Surely the risk of a bike not leaving the garage is much lower than a bike that can be taken on the road.

Insurance companies do my head in sometimes.

Found a policy and declared as much as i can remember, multibike with Be Moto, same price as my renewal with Wicked Quotes, but Be Moto include full RAC, helmet and leather cover, £0 excess etc etc.

So off to Be Moto I go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Motor insurance is not legalised robbery, as some have suggested.

It is mandatory robbery.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information