1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance-auto Renew-don’t Do It!!!

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Symon Moore, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Just a reminder as if we all need it-Auto renew notice came through today £279. Not too bad, I thought but oddly £39 up from last year
    Quick check with the meerkats-Carole Nash £167.50!!! Checked & double checked all the input (SDP + commuting, single SP30 with a year to run, blah de blah) Yep all good. So five mins on a comparison app, & I’ve nearly cut my insurance bill in half. Why do they do it? I’d have not bothered if they’d been even vaguely competitive & they’d still have me as a customer?

2. You have to stipulate do not auto-renew my policy. It even states on the paperwork if you didn't state it that they will auto-renew. Who actually were you with?

3. Gotta be honest, thought I had done that as I’ve had this issue before. Anyhow no harm done it’s only the advice, so I’ll just Go with Carole Nash now. Current was Axa via Bennett’s

4. And the flip side for my wife’s recent car renewal was no one could get near the auto renewal quote. The moral is always start looking around about 3 weeks before renewal.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thread moved

6. FYI. Not a huge issue, but when I had Carole N insurance, I didn't get any no claims added. I queried it and of course it was my fault, they had told me when I took out the policy...hmm....

It might be different with your policy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. So I got a quote last week 134 quid which I then took out online. I mistakenly said I had 10 years no claims but in reality I had 0 years no claims. Rang them right after taking out the policy expecting a big difference. There was a difference. 6 Pounds less!

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  8. Interesting! Some companies charge more than that to protect your no claims bonus each year. Insurance seems a smoke and mirrors industry.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Same here for my Exige this year - always check but it was cheaper than last year :):upyeah:

10. Exactly what I'm thinking. Years ago my house mate and I were using the same insurance company, similar cars, similar age, same job, same address. Mine went up at renewal, his didn't. Loyalty certainly doesn't pay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. I guess (and do guess) that if they see "auto-renew" checked at renewal time, it's party time and drinks all round!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I
    I ring around every year to try for a lower price for the same coverage and usually find one. If I don't, I call my current insurers back and say that I've been offerred the same coverage as them but for £20 less. Its never failed until this year, when the guy said he didn't know how I'd got the price I had last year! So he agreed to zero increase. I said I'd let him know.

I have some smoke and a mirror too.

13. It's just the effort and for what? I have 4 bikes to insure and it takes ages just to give them all the details. Sometimes it's better to have them all on one policy, this year it's 3 and 1. Highly annoying and so unnecessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yes this is my point really. Surely the goal of an insurance company is to retain their clients business? So why don’t they spend just a few minutes finding the best price for their clients? Had my current insurer been competitive or even a little more than the rest, I’d probably just have stayed with them anyway, but not when a few mins online means I’m paying 40% less.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. I've found the confused site the cheapest recently, worth checking them when doing the rounds :upyeah:

16. Not sure I’m going to better that quote Harry but who knows? In a way I suppose it’s just the modern way of “shopping around” but I can’t understand why any company can’t be bothered to spend a few minutes before sending a renewal out, just to see if they’re competitive. The time & money it’s cost them in posting out a multi page document with a glossy booklet which is totally wasted because a quick search online makes their quote ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I've just been through this renewal nonsense. Last year £197 renewal quote £321! All circumstances the same £600 excess. Wasted lots of time getting quotes £283 was cheapest. Called up Bennetts and they changed companies and reduced premium to £252 with £350 excess. So I ended up staying with them. But I can't understand how the premiums have jumped up in a year.

All modern businesses are chasing the new customer. All wil try and rip off existing customers especially if they hold your card details. They are just hoping for people that are lazy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Every time i get my email for renewal (carole nash) i always ring them and discuss the policy renewal price and it always ends up cheaper then the email price!!

19. " Competitive " doesn't even enter their heads ..... it's not on the script , at least not until they sense that they
    might lose a customer .

It's exactly the same sketch with energy suppliers , and savings accounts with " headline rates "
    anyone who thinks that loyalty will deliver a fair renewal quote is going to get their pants pulled down .

Renewals is their bread and butter .... it requires zero effort on their part .
    Any hard work they do is entirely aimed at getting new business .....
    ......just my two mongos worth .... :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. So a quick update: Rang Bennett’s yesterday for exactly that reason, they matched the lower price instantly! It’s a strange business the way Insurance works, there has to be a gap in the market for a company that tries to do the best for its customers without the customer really having to work for it. It’s if I was 20yrs younger, I’d be getting a business plan worked out

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information