1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance Claim Advice Please?

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Cyberwookie, Nov 23, 2018.

1. I was knocked off my 67 plate Monster 821 by some bell end last night on the A64, who claimed he hadn't seen me when he changed lane.

After sliding down the road a bit with the bike on it's right side the damage is -

Dent in tank from handle bars
    slightly bent handlebars
    front brake lever scraped
    front of exhaust has severe scrape marks
    rear brake lever ripped off
    scrapes on exhaust
    and exhaust bracket to the frame has snapped all of the way through
    Fractured right arm and left thumb (mine)

There is no damage to the car from what I could see but the driver has contacted his insurance

So should I

a) make a claim via the insurance
    b) address the damage myself

Any advice appreciated.

2. thread moved

3. Because the driver has declared the accident to his insurer, you must now declare it to your insurer. Most definitely claim on his insurance to repair the damages. SMDSY is not an admissable defense, he changed lanes without looking. Sorry to read you have a broken arm and thumb, hope they knit quickly and good luck with your claim. You are also entitled to claim for clothing and lost earnings like guaranteed overtime. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yes, use your insurance company. If you don't and they find out, they can get funny about it. Remember that you can also claim for pain & suffering on top of any loss of earnings, damage to bike, bike hire, etc, etc. Don't hold back! If in doubt, engage a solicitor who knows their arse from their elbow.

5. Any witnesses??? - you don’t know what he’s told his insurance company!

6. Thanks all. I contacted my insurer today to start the process. Seeing the cost of a new tank at roughly £1600 helped make the decision.

7. Presumably he and you exchanged details?

Tell your insurers. They’ll claim off his insurers. From what you’ve said it’s his/her fault. I agree with @PerryL beef it up. A fractured arm and thumb is serious. The fact they’re right and left respectively means you can use either upper limb properly at present = serious issues/claim. Speak to a good PI solicitor.

8. Just to let you know whats possible, my son managed to claim for £2k worth of clothing after a minor accident. By minor i mean just a broken collar bone.
    Oh and the full value of nthe claim for the bike would have been in excess of £8k and it was a 54 plate 749. A scratch on a swinging arm is a new one for example.
    I would not be surprised if yours is written off. However you can buy the "wreck" for pennies

9. I got knocked off a monster years ago on the M25, stationary traffic so I filtered through until the passenger in a Discovery decided to get out of the car to get something from the boot, certainly not my fault.
    Apparently he didn't see me.
    Got the bike fixed and two years later a 15 grand cheque.
    Claim for everything, good luck.

10. Hope you are ok mate? That is crap news, maybe go back and check if any cctv on business premises or private houses or even traffic control cameras....depending on what part of the a64 you were on

11. Thanks all,

Good news - bike has ended repaired and I’m waiting for it to be returned. Injuries are healing well and two more weeks before I can ride again.
    Bad news - I suspect that my insurers have allowed for my details to be made accessible to a number of insurance claim firms who are trying to take over the claim from each other. Result is that I’ve had a lot of calls from companies I’ve never heard of.

12. If your claim isn't settled yet and not yet being dealt with by a solicitor choose your own, one that's recommended by trustworthy sources, don't go with the ones that call out of the blue, they're just interested in their fee, not getting the best/right result for you.

13. As I can only use 1 emoji, glad it’s sorted:upyeah:but definitely pissed by ambulance chasers :skull: Hope your recovery progresses to plan and have a good yuletide break. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information