1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance Gripe

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Daddy2coull, Oct 9, 2018.

1. ive recently bought full givi trekker outback luggage for my multistrada. Gave the insurance company a call to see if I can insure the extra value. They’ve told me luggage is classed as a modification and want an extra £130 for the remainder of the year. Now if I cancel I’ll be charged £70. But if I reinsure with the same company there is no extra charge for insuring the luggage. Just needed to vent lol

• WTF WTF x 1
  2. Thread moved

3. Would they say the same about a car with a roof box I wonder? On the basis you can actually claim for luggage/contents on the policy anyway (or your home policy should you wish), I wouldn’t bother adding them at all.

4. Why bother insuring the extras? Is it worth the £130?

BTw my S1000R was double the cost of the DVT, 3 weeks in to cover and I had to stump up a full year’s Cost again. So feel yer pain

5. Wanted £400 to add my £1700 blade to my multibike policy!!!!!!

6. I'd be concerned that the insurers can't/won't distinguish between an accessory and a modification.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. An accessory is a modification.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Unless the modification a/ enhances performance, or b/ is a causeational factor in an accident then I don't think, in reality, they have much justification in asking for a price hike if you are willing to accept that the accessory isn't covered under the policy for the bike. That's my theory anyway. Would they be willing to reduce your premium for things like crash bars that could potentially reduce the cost of a claim or accept more than two security devices*.

*When insuring my 1260 I listed my security arrangements and asked if the large approved lock and chain would be required when away from home (royal PITA to lug around) or if I'd popped back indoors for a moment before setting off on a ride. He said that the underwriters only offered a reduction for the first two approved security items and as one was already OEM fitted to the bike (immobiliser) and another had been fitted (tracker) then I shoudn't list any more. The approved lock and chain, barbed wire, machine gun nests, Rottweilers and claymore mines were thus removed from the details as they wouldn't effect the premium one iota. Having them on there would potentially open me up to a get-out by the insurers if they were found to not have been used.

9. You think so?
    accessory | əkˈsɛs(ə)ri |
    noun (plural accessories)
    1 a thing which can be added to something else in order to make it more useful, versatile, or attractive: optional accessories include a battery charger and shoulder strap. • a small article or item of clothing carried or worn to complement a garment or outfit: she wore the suit with perfectly matching accessories—hat, bag, shoes.
    2 (also accessary) Law someone who gives assistance to the perpetrator of a crime without taking part in it: she was charged as an accessory to murder.

modification | ˌmɒdɪfɪˈkeɪʃ(ə)n | [mass noun]
    the action of modifying something: the parts supplied should fit with little or no modification.
    • [count noun] a change made: a number of modifications are being carried out to the engines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. To my mind an accessory is something that is removable. My top box, tank bag and sat nav are all accessories (though there is admittedly a little associated hardware left attached to the bike in each case).

Though my panniers are included on the insurance as they came with the bike as part of the Touring pack. Might be handy if I misjudge a gap and damage someone's car I suppose, I would guess than an insurer may have a cause to refuse to pay-out if they weren't included...

11. 100% accessory, same as attaching a satnav.

12. Accessory catalogue will include stuff including exhausts.

Insurers see any change from standard as a mod

13. Exhausts are, of course, an entirely different matter. Despite end cans not really adding anything, other than a slightly more fruity tone, should be declared as they are still seen as a performance modification (sellers/manufacturers want you to see them this way too...).

14. Exhausts a a replacement/upgrade to a required, functional part.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information