1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance In Spain

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Hatrick, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Hi,

I need some advice..

I am about to ship one of my bikes to stay in Spain. It is currently on English plates with a years MOT and Tax. Can anyone advise me a what Insurance company to use in Spain? I did try my English company but obviously they were not interested as it will stay/live in a Spainish residence.
    Thanks

2. Why not just use it there until the MOT expires...if you have any claims within that year, can tell your insurance is been shipped 1 months prior.(sure someone can provide a delivery invoice) I do not have to notify my insurance company every time I leave UK to ride abroad.
    On another note, according to the EU laws, you'll have to register the bike in Spain if kept/used there for more than 6 months. Not sure how/if will the Brexit affect this?
    I'll be surprised if insurance is not cheaper in Spain.

3. You’d be better off asking in a Spanish forum.

4. Just declare it as exported to dvla?

5. All sounds a bit 'iffy'
    I have been reading the Spainish regs, I was planning on getting it registered and Spainish plates put on after 6 months.
    I think if its insured via an English company they only cover you for a short restricted time limit, I doubt 6 months - will need to look in to it. Either way I think I will at some point need 'proper' insurance through a Spainish company.

6. Yes, most insurances cover 90 days abroad...but do not have to declare it when leaving. Hence, I wrote use it for 6 months on UK insurance than register in Spain.
    Again, not sure what will happen once out of the EU...
    So if 100% sure you want to move it there, maybe a good idea to get the bike registered in Spain before October 31st?

7. Thanks for the help/advice

8. I’ve read the above.

I’ve just registered 2 bikes in Spain.
    My opinion is that it ‘could’ get more expensive to do ‘if’ we Brexit end of October.

Here’s the facts. Uk insurance will cover you 90 or 180 days. Each company will specify.
    Bike insurance is more expensive in Spain than UK as they have a lot of scooter claims.
    Lots of sunshine =lots of scooters= lots of 2 wheel claims.

Linea Direct have good prices but it needs to be Spanish registered.

I have insured through a Gibraltar company for the whole of the Iberian peninsula, on UK plates.
    PM me for details. Now that I’ve gone over to Spanish plates I’ll probably use a Spanish insurance Company.

Where are you in Spain? Get a Jestor to re-register it for you for around €150-160 fee.
    Get it insured properly, they’ll find out. They’re not stupid.

9. When do you want it shipped, I have an imminent/immediate possibility.

10. They're already booked on a van for this Tuesday - paid deposit!
    Thanks anyway.

11. I’ve pm’d you the details.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information