1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance Time Again...

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Freak, Jun 15, 2020.

1. I've got 2 bikes to insure (the norm), 1299S and a Desmo, I've been with DI forever but year on year the price goes up, the issue is the Desmo and the lack of other insurers out there to cover this.

The main issue is the Desmo has been SORN'd for 5 years BUT I have to insure it as being ridden rather than laid up with DI.

They have yet to quote this year, they're late giving me a quote, should have been here a week or two ago and the clocks ticking, I've chased them today to nudge them along.

I've also rung Bemoto who now offer a laid up policy, quote for the Pani in at £225 full comp/protected NCD, waiting for the quote for the Desmo. It'll be two separate policies from Bemoto also.

While I wait does anyone have any other suggestions that will offer this kind of arrangement and cover the Desmo?

Thanks

2. Hi avoid Hastings they charge for any minor adjustment to your policy, change of address, reg, mods etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'm guessing the Desmo will be about £250 to £300 ish on a laid up policy - what are you valuing it at?
    @Robarano might have an idea as he has one laid up as he never rides any of his bikes apart from a scooter :bucktooth:

There is another option that may be available, insuring as an objet d' art via Hiscox Collections insurance. I have done this with about £120k worth of laid up bikes (cost me just over £500) - I have a contact somewhere if needed. Not sure if they will be OK with 1 object but I would imaging they will be... this would be around £200 to £250 value dependant.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. Laid up price with bemoto for my Pani was dearer than normal road risks.

Pani and the Tuono come in at just under £400

• WTF WTF x 1
  5. My Desmo costs me £250 to lay up with a £45k valuation iirc. I can up the value if I like and might knock it up a few £k at renewal time this year. I used to insure it every year to ride, but it was circa £1k fully comp and I never used it much. After all, I have a lovely scooter in the garage. :heart_eyes:

DI were off the map for lay up insurance on the Desmo when I happened to ask them about it as the policy ran out at the same time as the Pani R. They were the most competitive on the Pani R by far, but couldn't get near for the D16.

6. At £45,000 the objet d' art via Hiscox is £191.52

7. @Robarano who did you lay it up with please and do you have contact details?

@Exige, I assume you just called Hiscox or did you do it on-line?

Thanks

8. I'll check for you when I get home. :upyeah:

9. Hiscox is a strange one - I read an article / interview with the Hiscox Chief Underwriter where he said they have insured a Classic Ferrari as Objet d' Art. I asked through the Bike insurance division and they say it can't be done. Through more research and further ringing around I found you need Hiscox 'collections' insurance.
    They don't have a category for vehicles, just Auromobilia. You can get an instant quote and buy on-line. I called them and discussed my situation and they were happy to take the bikes I wanted on the policy on as Automobilia and sent me a covering e-mail to confirm - I suggest you get this confirmation if you go for it.

This is the guy I dealt with and the Web Site link:

Davey Fuller
    Insurance Expert
    Hiscox UK and Ireland
    T +44 (0)1904 618200

https://www.hiscox.co.uk/collection...VQuztCh0PrQ3WEAAYASAAEgJ2JfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

10. For the potential bun fight, I can live with another £60 for peace of mind.

11. For a higher amount the difference is more - almost double for me. You get the same potential bun fight either way, all the same companies after all.
    This division is also in York so can be trusted more than most insurance companies o_O

12. I do all my bikes individually and they still work out cheaper than a multibike policy.

13. All with different companies?

I have my Bayliss and R1 together, my YR5 was cheaper on classic Insurance on its own.

14. I have tried on two occasions in 2018 /19 for a multibike policy,with spending far to much time on the blower when they come back with a rather expensive quote.
    but yes with the same company that are not really a motorbike insurance company:confused:,the good news is you phone and speak with a person & ten minutes later you're insured.

15. Had similar issues this year, DI went up and up.

I looked at lay up insurance for the 749r, it was more than on the road ready to ride. Laid up, there was no NCB, but on the road, it shared the NCB with my other bike.

Just a word of caution, If you go for a "ready to ride" policy, check the small print. I found some companies would withdraw insurance, without telling you, if you did not keep the tax and MOT going.

I went with Bemoto, and their weird multibike that is basically separate policies sharing the same NCB. But, I then had a covering email confirming the 749r would be on full insurance even if I SORN and let the MOT expire.

Bemoto worked out the same in £'s as DI, but, Bemoto included many more benefits like RAC breakdown and £0 excess.

16. Unable to get through to Hiscox.... Covid and reduced staff, still waiting on DI and Bemoto (I've literally got 3 days before my insurance runs out). @Robarano did you manage to track down your policy? Cheers

17. Ooops. Sorry mate. I'll look tonight. Send another message if I don't get back to you. :upyeah:

18. Did you try an email: [email protected]

19. You have told them they are in the shed?

20. None are in the shed - they know exactly where they all are :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information