1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Interested In Views On This...

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Phill748, May 10, 2020.

1. So, I have quite a bit of experience with the 748r as a mate had a 2001 Ohlins bike which I rode more than him, so know the differences between models and variants but the clean Ohlins ones are near £10k or more if the dealer is taking the Michael, so I’m after thoughts on this one. Two for sale at the mo, this has much higher mileage but looks clean and probably isn’t a china import like the other one may be from that dealer. Just gauging price really? In reality I’d get a upgraded rear shock and service the forks and tbh for what I want it for I think I could live without the Ohlins. It’s the engine I’m after it for because the 748r motor is a lovely fun engine once you are out of town. I am looking at 748s’ when they pop up but this would be a 2nd bike and a keeper and want to stretch to an R if I can

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333532580342

2. Why no photograph of the top yoke ? Even a 2001 748R should have an Ohlins rear shock. MoT ran out in 2019 but tax expired in 2017. Things not adding up for me. Andy

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. If it helps that bike has been there for a year or so. At that price I wonder why?

4. Early 748r's I don't think we're numbered and run showa suspension. 2001 went ohlins and were numbered. Easiest way to check is wider Cam belt covers on the engine as they ran wider belts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Okay :upyeah: Still don’t think it represents value for money. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Agreed, I'm confident in what to look for, there is a guy at work who has a pre-Ohlins one also and that's not numbered and has a Showa rear shock also. I know it's been there a year, maybe it's do-able for nearer £7500, if so it makes it £2500 cheaper than the Ohlins bikes that come up.

Also at the mo, there is one up north that's £200 cheaper with half the miles, but might be an import and might have questionable history. I'm in no rush at all, the main thing is to find the right one. I'll probably do 1k miles a year on it also so there is a legitimate question over whether a standard 748 would be better for belts etc being less highly strung, or even maybe thinking about a 996 for that money, but I want revvy… I like that the 748R once you get it up nearer the 6k revs is just buttery smooth and revs so nicely.

• Love You Love You x 1
  7. I wouldn't worry about buying an import same bike . My r1 was a US import and getting parts is no problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. if you buy it and look to put ohlins on it later i have a set of 748R ohlins yokes with the numbered plaque on for a 748R:upyeah:;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. haha thanks, I’d likely get the Showa stuff serviced and set up, I honestly think it would do the job then absolutely fine but we will see

• Like Like x 1
  10. Corse the top yokes are the same size....

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information