1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Intermittent Starting Issue - Ideas?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Mike600F, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Hi all,
    Got an odd starting issue. Diagnostics cables on the way, so should have more info tomorrow, but keen to consult the collective wisdom anyway.

Turn key; sometimes exclamation light on dashsdash lit and it won't start (won't even try!) And sometimes it goes out, and it will start.

When it stays lit, all that happens when you push start is the headlight goes out.

It was washed today, but other than that not felted with it at all. Just water in a plug somewhere? Not had the issue post-wash before though.

Was going to post a video, but says too big. What's the limit?

2. Water ingress around the immo coil. I cured my 1198 of this by taking the ignition shroud off and raising its height by adding washers. This puts the immo coil nearer the chip in the key. It only needs raising 1 to 2 mm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Could well be. Got it started and ran it up to temp to dry everything out and it's definitely improved things.

Immobiliser ring currently "floats" by the ignition barrel anyway; it's on a 996, so it has to be this way. Might have ingressed the connector though.

Noticed that when the warning light comes up i get a "00000 CODE" when scrolling - doesn't seem to be a standard code though. :thinkingface:
    Not there when the exclamation point light isn't on.

4. Can you use cable ties around the ignition barrel to raise the coil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. IMG_20200615_210819.jpg

6. I see your problem. If you can forgo the immo, then tape the transponder securely in the middle of the antenna ring and the hide out of the way on the bike. It is pretty easy to get the transponder out of the key.

7. CODE only comes up if it’s an immobiliser problem and you can put in the code on your spare key to disable immobiliser.

8. That's a interesting proposition. Might give this a go as I hate the antenna just hanging around the ignition barrel.
    Cheers dude!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information