1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

International Luggage

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Archermav, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Folks,
    To celebrate retirement I'm off biking to Germany for a week. It has been a while since I've done a distance on a bike, and the thought of a ruck sack isn't appealing. I do not own any sort of luggage rack so would have to buy something to help out. Touring is not something I will be taking up regularly either. So, I got to thinking can I "post" my luggage to my hotel and then return post. Seems I can do such a thing, for around £60. Anyone done similar and recommend a company?Cheers.

2. Thread moved

3. I have heard of this being done, by the ex-CEO of UK-Mail who now runs Bikeshuttle :)

Easy enough to post from this end, might be worth asking the hotel for advice on posting from their end (and letting them know to accept delivery of your luggage).

4. Any of the major couriers would be able to do this. Personally I would use Fedex, I use them at work and find the service excellent.

5. How much to post a toothbrush and credit card?

Slightly more seriously this will likely tie you to one hotel for the week unless you plan on forwarding or somehow carrying on the bike inter-hotel. Are you planning on multiple hotels -proper touring?

6. If you're going solo, why not just strap a bag on the pillion seat? Depending on how you position it/yourself, it can provide a little lower back support at times and it also means that you have your gear with you for any eventuality. Do you have a tank bag?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. This 40ltr roll bag that I strap to back seat with Rok straps would be ideal for a weeks luggage
    304F05D7-007B-4340-8360-37D50F511B7B.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Waterproof roll as suggested, i have toured the last 10 years using them, also does not affect the bike handling. I attach mine length ways down the pillion seat and slightly over the tail. With a tank bag for valuable items that easily comes off the bike too. Even though my MTS came with panniers this is my preferred method. If your luggage gets lost by courier, or the hotel refuses delivery due to a lack of communication you're stuffed.

9. Thanks for the replies gents. Food for thought. I am staying in the same hotel all week, it's near the ring so I shall have to give that a bash. That roll bag looks like it might take the strain. I do not possess a tank bag or anything similar, as luggage isn't something I've ever given much thought to. Thanks again.

10. Buy used Kriega gear off the bay for the trip .... list it again when you get back

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information